Flag certain records to NOT sync from Marketo to Dynamics?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Flag certain records to NOT sync from Marketo to Dynamics?

Hello,

We are going through a database clean up in CRM, and have a ew hundred thousand inactive records in CRM that we'd like to remove from CRM, but keep in Marketo to nuture. I understand the bi-directional synch function will synch them back to CRM. Is there a way to flag certain records to stay in Marketo, and not get caught in the bi-directional synch and get moved back to CRM?

Thanks!

Carey

3 REPLIES 3
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Flag certain records to NOT sync from Marketo to Dynamics?

Hi Carey,

With Dynamics, programs do not sync with dynamics campaigns, although this is sometimes painful, in your case, it's an advantage : you will not have implicit push from Marketo to MSD.

So any push will be done by your campaign and we can assert that, if your Marketo instance is correctly configured, this should only happen for active leads, in which case it would be relevant to have them pushed back to MSD. Unless there are some specific scenarios you think of and I do know ?

Taking one step back, though, if these leads are just inactive from a Marketing standpoint (meaning they do not react to your campaigns) I would rather consider isolate them in MSD (assigning them to a marketing user for instance) until they become active again.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gregoire,

Thanks for your answer! So, if I understand this correctly, inactive leads will not automatically sync from Marketo to Dynamics? If there is activity on the lead records in Marketo, THEN it will be sync'd back? If so, then this is great!

Carey

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Carey,

Yes, this is correct. Leads that are not synched with the CRM remain so until something starts syncing them, meaning and explicit (sync lead flow step) or implicit (program sync) sync.

Make sure that you do not have a smart campaign in Marketo that delete leads when they are deleted in CRM. This is something that is often implemented for good reasons, but in your case, if would delete leads in Marketo as soon as you delete them in MSD.

If I were you, I would run a test. Create a few leads in MSD, make sure they arrive in Marketo, then delete them from MSD. The send them emails, add them to a program and even change their score. An look at what happens.

Another difficulty you may run in is that, when the lead is deleted from MSD but still exist in Marketo, your attempt to push them back to MSD raise an error instead of recreating it to MSD. Is this happens, the solution will be to export them from Marketo, then delete them from MSD AND Marketo, the reimport them in Marketo. You would loose historical data, but at least keep your lead database.

-Greg