SOLVED

First time web page visit

Go to solution
Ville_Salomaa
Level 1

First time web page visit

Hello,

Is there a way to capture the very first visit of a certain web page?

I could just create a trigger campaign and set the flow to only once, but that would just capture any visit after activation? How can I also ensure that any visit prior to activation is also accounted for?

Ideally would like the logic to be:

1. Trigger: Visits web page X

2. Had Not visited web page X before that moment

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: First time web page visit

You would also be allowed to flow through only once, to make it indeed the first page visit.

Does this logic make sense to you or would you propose something else?

It makes sense on its own; this will prevent people from qualifying for the Smart Campaign if they have visited the page [a] before 2019-11-12 and [b] in the past 90 days (because visits prior to 90d will have been aged out of the ActLog).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman

If by "activation" (not a Marketo term) you mean association of the Munchkin session with a known lead then you can still have a trigger campaign on Visit Web Page. It will run retroactively when the session becomes associated. 

You are limited in the flow steps you can use retroactively: Change Score, Interesting Moment, Change Data Value, Add to List, and Remove from List are supported.

You also haven't described what "capture" means in terms of the actions taken on that lead.

Ville_Salomaa
Level 1

Hi Sanford,

thank you for the reply. By activation, I meant activating the trigger smart campaign. Are you saying that if a record would have visited a web page X two days ago, and if I would activate the trigger campaign to look for that web page today, it would be able to capture that information retroactively?

The action I'd be interested in would be to set an interesting moment for the webpage visit. Would the timestamp for this be also retroactive?

SanfordWhiteman

If the campaign is active at the moment the session is associated, it will be triggered.

A campaign will never react to activities that were *already* associated at the time the campaign is activated, because there's nothing to trigger on. (There's no anonymous activity that has not been merged into the known lead.)

Ville_Salomaa
Level 1

So how would I also ensure past visits are accounted for and excluded? In other words, as the trigger will account for everything going forward after activating, how can we ensure the smart campaign also looks for any visits to the specific page before activating it?

Here's an example of the filter setup I tried working on. This would assume we would turn this on today, December 12th. The second filter would look for any visits to the page before we activate the trigger campaign. 

pastedImage_3.png

You would also be allowed to flow through only once, to make it indeed the first page visit.

SanfordWhiteman

It makes sense on its own; this will prevent people from qualifying for the Smart Campaign if they have visited the page [a] before 2019-11-12 and [b] in the past 90 days (because visits prior to 90d will have been aged out of the ActLog).