Re: Fill in a form only with unique email address?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fill in a form only with unique email address?

Hello Marketo Community, 

We have an event form where we capture all the event registered people. However, we discover an issue. Some people have filled in the form with the same address. What happens is that Marketo automatically overides the information - person A registers with one email address, person B register with the same email address and Person A - information have been overwritted and we have no longer their details. 

How can we prevent this from happening? Is there away that if a person fills in a form - Marketo to block them from filling it in, as detecting that this person have their email addressed alredy registered for this event? Is there a posible an error message to pop-up by saying - Sorry but this email have been already in use.  We can put that a person can go through the flow only once ( i.e. recieving a confirmation email) but how can we insure that they are informed at the moment they are filling the form that they can use that email address and in the background Marketo doesn't overwrite their information? 

If someone can help me with this will be highly appriciated

Thank you! 
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ana,

I don't know how to present that error message to Person B. You can however simply block the email address field update in the Admin section of Marketo. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sydney, 

But then would I have 2 diffrent leads with the same email address?

Thanks! 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo recognizes people as email addresses and tries to merge any duplicates. So if Person A fills out the form before Person B with the same email address, the leads should be automatically merged into 1 lead (as a profile update for that lead). 

Does that help?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is that we have an event, that people have registered with the same email address with 5 diffrent people. So, instead of having 5 people registered for the event - we have only one as it have been overwitten several times. I am trying to figure out a way this not to happen again. To prevent people using the same email address. If that makes sense. 

Thank you so much!
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems that customers will always find a way to mess up with campaigns.

I don’t think you can force Marketo to create different leads with the same email address. That will go against all logic in the system.

Maybe you can do the following:
  1. Make sure that the email address in your form is not prefilled. People are lazy.
  2. Add a message at the top of the registration form asking people to use a different email for each registration. You can say that using the same email will replace the previous registration. Maybe tell that a unique confirmation number will be sent for each registration.  Then you can either generate a random number in Excel (or the method below) and send an email to each.  You might not require these numbers at the event but it might help. 
Create a random registration number when the form is sent.

You can take advantage that Marketo forms can capture data from cookies. You can create random numbers and save it in a cookie. Marketo then will grab the value from the cookie and place it in a hidden filed. Create a field in Marketo to save this data that then you can use in you emails

Ask your web developer to add a cookie to your landing page where the registration form is. Adding this code inside the <head> of your landing page will create a cookie with a 6 digit random number.

<script>document.cookie="event_registration="+Math.floor((Math.random() * 1000000) + 1);</script>

Then you can update your form with a hidden field that will grab the value of the cookie. You can save the value in a Marketo field and use it in the auto-responder.

There is a chance that the random number repeats but for this purpose I would not be too concerned.