Fields clean up in Marketo instance

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fields clean up in Marketo instance

Greetings!

What would be an ideal way to clean the fields on Marketo. Our company has been using the marketo instance for about 2-3 years now and we have about 600+ fields in there.

Has anybody dealt with a situation like this? 

Please let me know the best optimal way to do the field cleanse in Marketo.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Fields clean up in Marketo instance

That's hard to do.

If the field isn't being used in any asset, you can HIDE it in the FIeld Manager.

If it is being used, then you have to remove it from the assets before you can hide it.

You also have to consider which fields you need and if you still need that data. Are these fields in SFDC too?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for a quick reply Josh!

The reason I ask is since there are 600+ fields, is there a place where i could export a list with all fields in my Marketo instance, with their CRM mapping and a column where it could state if it is being used or not.

It may not worth spendingso much time to open each and every field to check for the above mentioned elements.

Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Khushboo,

You can export fields by going to Admin > Field Management > Export Field Names and this would give you a list of fields in Marketo, their labels, and API names, but wouldn't tell you which fields are in use.
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Khushboo, from experience, this is probably going to be a long, arduous task -- the first time around -- but hopefully afterwards you can keep up with it on a regular basis. Anytime we discontinue/change use of a field in SFDC I make sure to update anywhere that the field is used, and then hide it so that nobody uses it accidentally and it doesn't muck up our system.

There isn't an easy way to do the initial cleanup other than what Josh and Rajesh have suggested... my only real suggestion here is to try to keep up with it on a regular basis once you've done the hard job of getting it up to date.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for your input.

I guess going through each field one by one is the only option I have.