SOLVED

Re: Field update questions

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Field update questions

Hi~

1. If an existing lead in Marketo comes to one of our forms and puts in a different email address will Marketo update the email address for that lead or create a brand new lead record?

2. Is it possible to clear out any field in Marketo thru the API, including th email address or can you only change values?

Thanks!

~Brian

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just in case anyone else searches for this, answer from support:

1. Marketo de-duplicates based on email address. So if a cookied lead fills out a form with a new email address, a new lead will; be created in Marketo.

2. Yes. You should be able to send null or a blank string without a problem through the API. You can clear out an email address by sending a lead ID through the API to match the lead instead of using the email address. (support isn't 100% for sure on this)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

A new email address always results in a lead from my experience - even if it is from the same IP.

You can clear a field in your smart campaign if you like by changing the data value. So if you wanted to clear all fields you would just run the program on the entire list or databse.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Even if the lead already has the munchkin cookie on the computer? If the form can already identify the user I figured it would just run an upsert and see that the email address changed rather than being a new user.

I was hoping to do it just thru a straight upsert call on the lead, rather than having to use campaigns, etc.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just in case anyone else searches for this, answer from support:

1. Marketo de-duplicates based on email address. So if a cookied lead fills out a form with a new email address, a new lead will; be created in Marketo.

2. Yes. You should be able to send null or a blank string without a problem through the API. You can clear out an email address by sending a lead ID through the API to match the lead instead of using the email address. (support isn't 100% for sure on this)