Exporting Marketo email data en-masse?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exporting Marketo email data en-masse?

We purchased 10K API calls per month with Marketo, but it looks like we're continuously going over trying to export our email activity data - 

e.g. I'm trying to export:
userid
email address
email event (send, open, click, hardbounce, softbounce, unsubscribe)
timestamp of email event
email title
etc.

Each event would be a separate line item I can import into my database to pivot against other data I have.

Does anyone have experience getting out this kind of data in a creative manner?
4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Exporting Marketo email data en-masse?

It's 10K per day, not per month... but in any case the first line of creativity is spacing your calls out over periods when you aren't sending.

Another approach is to use Flows to roll up multiple interesting activities into a single lead data change and search for lead data changes instead of the activities themselves.  For example, you could set field "Last Click" to the current date.  And since that obviously is a superset of Sends and Opens you save yourself retrieving multiple rows for a single lead.

If you're still generating more than 10,000 x 300 interesting rows every single day you're going to have to buy more API calls.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cathy - I'm looking to get the data you describe above out of Marketo. Are you currently able to export this using API calls? If so can you point me to any documentation that show examples of how to do this?

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

You'll want to look here, Jason: Get Lead Activities » Marketo Developers​ My colleague David also has a great blog post on the subject with some code examples here: http://developers.marketo.com/blog/polling-for-activities-using-rest-api/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Kenny! This is really helpful - especially David's blog post!