Re: Exclude a company, except for a few individuals

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exclude a company, except for a few individuals

A lot of people at my company are interested in receiving Marketo emails so they're in the loop about what Marketing is working on. I want to add them, but don't want their inclusion to affect our performance/reporting.

Ideally, I would like to exclude everyone with an @company.com email address, except for X, X, and maybe a group email address (ex. marketing@company.com). To my knowledge, there is no way to add an exception to the email address filter field when creating a smart list.

Does anyone know how to set this up, or have an alternative solution?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Sarah,

You may use "AND" and "OR" to combine filters and reach what you want.

Exclusion smart list:

then you target any one that complies with filter: "member of smart list" IS NOT "exclusion samrt list"

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Gegoire. Unfortunately, I am trying to do the opposite, and I am worried one filter will override the other.

So what I am trying to do is:

Not sure if the logic will permit that.

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Sarah,

My proposition is to 1/ create and exclusion list and 2/ use it to exclude some leads from the target. Which seems to correspond to you first question. please read it to the end.

Not (A and Not(B)) = Not(A) or B

A being email address contains @company.com

B being marketing@company.com

If you need to also handle the sarah@company.com then the exclusion list will be:

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Sarah,

My proposition is to 1/ create and exclusion list and 2/ use it to exclude some leads from the target. Which seems to correspond to you first question. please read it to the end.

Not (A and Not(B)) = Not(A) or B

A being email address contains @company.com

B being marketing@company.com

If you need to also handle the sarah@company.com then the exclusion list will be:

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sarah,

One thing we do internally is select a few important campaigns to share with the whole organization weekly. Once the email program is approved, we simply clone it, strip out all email tracking (campaign ids, utm codes, etc.) and send an operational internal send. That way, we can be 100% sure we aren't impacting the stats on the prospect send.

Takes a bit of extra time, but it has been well received!