Email unsubscribes from previous provider...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Email unsubscribes from previous provider...

We recently transitioned from one email marketing provider to Marketo. The previous provider sent us a list of all unsubscribes - when many were only unsubscribing from certain communication, therefore we lost A TON of subscribers. They no longer have our information. Please see the conversation via email we had with the previous provider below and let me know if you agree that we can move forward with sending a mass email...

WE SAID:

We are unable to do a mass broadcast email to everyone because we risk being black listed, due to those that may have completely unsubscribed will mark us as SPAM. 

PREVIOUS PROVIDER RESPONSE:
You should not get black-listed for sending one mass blast, where, a few emails might mark you as spam. 
Suggestions:
-You could re-enroll everyone and have them opt out again…this is a sample disclosure that one of our clients put on all of their marketing campaigns when they moved their email marketing to us: You have received this eLert because you are member of ABC Credit Union and have given us your email address. We have updated our email services, and apologize if you have already unsubscribed in the past. To be automatically unsubscribed from this eLert service click here. You may also unsubscribe by writing: (insert address)

-You could create an entire campaign around this ‘request to gather and restore information’.  Send a ‘welcome to elerts’ campaign.  Explain to the member what elerts are and why you are sending them a communication…i.e., the fact that you changed vendors and would like to make sure you have the most updated options for your members.  Tell them you want them to decide what they get, etc.

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Email unsubscribes from previous provider...

If you lost all of your past list's communication preferences, then the only thing to do is not send email to anyone who unsubscribed.

With the new CASL and increasing restrictions, you risk getting fined. I agree with your provider that sending out an email blast once for a resubscribe would normally work, there are too many risks.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Josh - that is not the answer I wanted to receive.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pam, Josh is right. Those who have unsubscribed to you in the past are likely to resubscribe, anyway. I would just start anew and build out a subscription center to ensure you do not have this problem moving forward.