SOLVED

Re: Email Send filter logic

Go to solution
Maci91
Level 2

Email Send filter logic

Hi there,

I'm setting up a campaign where I will be sending 5 emails to a smart list. Is there a possibility to use filter "3 open emails", in a way to show leads who at least open 3 emails? I've seen that could be done by advanced filter in smart list but there are so many combination and wondering if there's some workaround to avoid that?

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Yes, I am sending to a list of somewhere around of 400-500, but to be honest not quite understand  your solution 😕

In an Opened Email trigger, the special token {{Trigger.Name}} is available — that's the name of the email asset.

Call Webhook flow step can send {{Trigger.Name}} to a remote service. With simple deduplication, the service can count how many unique email names were encountered, either encountered ever or in a set period (last day). Then the number gets passed back to Marketo.  If it's >= 3, then you can proceed to your next step.

Forum rules prevent me from going further into it, but setups like this are run by a bunch of our clients (usually with pageviews, like a unique # of product detail pages in 10m, etc.).

View solution in original post

SanfordWhiteman

... how would that be implemented with trigger

You'd have a Smart Campaign with the trigger Opens Email. The flow would have the step Call Webhook.

would the webhook have to be created for that purposes in admin settings? 

Yes, all webhooks are defined in Admin » Webhooks. In the Payload, you'd include the {{Trigger.Name}} token (most likely as a property of a JSON object, but that would all depend on what the webhook-based service expects to be passed).

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SanfordWhiteman

You can't use a single filter to specify "opened 3 different emails."

Maci91
Level 2

Hi there,

Yes, I'm aware of that. I was just wondering if there's a way to use some combination of filters in smart list to show people who at least opened 3 out of 5 emails? 

SanfordWhiteman

Yes, I'm aware of that.

OK. That was not clear from your question.

There's no shortcut to what you describe, it all has to be built using Boolean logic, and it's going to be pretty maddening to build out.

It would be much easier to use a webhook to detect when someone has met the threshold and just flip a flag. But the Opened Email activity in particular is too high-volume to log them w/a webhook, unless you're sending < 25,000 emails/day.

Maci91
Level 2

Thanks for answering! 

Yes, I am sending to a list of somewhere around of 400-500, but to be honest not quite understand  your solution 😕

SanfordWhiteman

In an Opened Email trigger, the special token {{Trigger.Name}} is available — that's the name of the email asset.

Call Webhook flow step can send {{Trigger.Name}} to a remote service. With simple deduplication, the service can count how many unique email names were encountered, either encountered ever or in a set period (last day). Then the number gets passed back to Marketo.  If it's >= 3, then you can proceed to your next step.

Forum rules prevent me from going further into it, but setups like this are run by a bunch of our clients (usually with pageviews, like a unique # of product detail pages in 10m, etc.).

Maci91
Level 2

Thank you very much, will try to implement this!

Maci91
Level 2

Hi @SanfordWhiteman,

Can you please give me a insight on how would that be implemented with trigger, not sure where the token part goes, and in flow step also, would the webhook have to be created for that purposes in admin settings? 

Thanks, I appreciate it!

SanfordWhiteman

... how would that be implemented with trigger

You'd have a Smart Campaign with the trigger Opens Email. The flow would have the step Call Webhook.

would the webhook have to be created for that purposes in admin settings? 

Yes, all webhooks are defined in Admin » Webhooks. In the Payload, you'd include the {{Trigger.Name}} token (most likely as a property of a JSON object, but that would all depend on what the webhook-based service expects to be passed).