Email programs slow to send?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Email programs slow to send?

Hey marketo community,

Has anyone else experienced email programs being super slow to send?

1. For example, I sent an email to a large list last week (about 50k) and the email took about 2 hours to send from the time it was scheduled to start (didn't even get bouncebacks until 2 hours had passed).

2. We sent a smaller email last Thursday to a smaller list, which normally takes about 20-30 minutes to finish sending, but it also took close to a couple hours.

3. Today I have a small list of about 9k and it was scheduled to be sent at 12:30 EDT and while it says sending, there haven't been any bouncebacks or out of office replies that I normally start to see after a half hour or so.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: Email programs slow to send?

Hey Jillian, one of the first things I'd look at is the smart list for the send. If there are a lot of "member of smart list" or NOT statements, that will slow your send significantly. You can also reach out to support directly for them to review the sends and identify what might be happening here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Dory! I don't think it's the smartlist but we've definitely considered it. The current slow send seems to have happened in the past two weeks and its seeming to affect all emails, big or small. For example we have the same audience every Thursday for our newsletter and it references program members (that's it!), but last week it took double the amount of time to send that it normally does.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are also scheduled to release some new functionality around email sends.  In the future you will be able to schedule preprocessing to begin before the actual send time to prevent any delays with processing

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jillian,

We noticed a delay in sends recently and for us it was an embarrassingly easy fix: the Time Zone setting in Admin/Location was set to CST...we changed to CDT to move the clock up one hour and that did it (EST to EDT for you in D.C. I would imagine). It seemed to us that all of our sends were over an hour late in getting out the door, lol.

Probably not what's going on in your situation but since your question seems to involve sends all done after the switch to daylight savings I thought I would pass it along.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is that really a thing??  Yours just stayed in CST? I checked and ours was automatically in EDT unless someone from my team went in a changed it.

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Ours also changed to EDT automatically, so I don't think that's it (Luckily!)

Jason_Hamilton1
Level 8 - Champion Alumni

Bizarre, I would not think you would have to manually change it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We definitely had to manually change it.