Re: Email Performance Report: UNIQUE opens and clicks

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Email Performance Report: UNIQUE opens and clicks

Each time we execute an email campaign, our field marketers are asking for a summary report of the performance of each campaign.  According to this article (http://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000KypPCAS), "Clicked Link" refers to the number of email RECIPIENTS who clicked a link in the email.  This, to me, implies UNIQUE users (or recipients).  However, after talking with our Marketo consultant and analyzing the report, Marketo is including ALL clicks and ALL opens. For example, if one recipient clicked on a link in the email five different times, that would register as "5" clicks.  And if someone kept viewing their email multiple times, that too would register an additional count for "opens".  If this is the case, these metrics (along with the percentages that are included in this report) are essentially meaningless.  And if there is a lot of acitivity/engagement for a specific campaign, the metrics would exceed the number of sends/delivered.  Is there a summary report in Marketo that will provide more relevant metrics to send to our marketers?
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always report on Program Status. If you are using salesforce you can link the program to a Salesforce campaign as well. I push Salesforce dashboards with linked reports to all stakeholders. doing this will keep the reporting one-to-one relationship as well as block people going backward in a progression based on opens or clicks later inthe campaign.

As far as "opens" and "clicks" as signs of engagment I really downplay them in reporting vs. true ingagment with the website or ultimatly "Sales Acceptance"
Dan_Stevens_

I agree with what you're saying, but our team still wishes to view these baseline metrics - opens, clicks, bounces, unsubscribes, etc.  But when Marketo is reporting on ALL (not UNIQUE) metrics, the reports aren't very useful.

BTW, we're on Dynamics CRM, not SFDC (and Marketo does not sync to the campaign object in MS CRM).
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it...with that said filter the report by member of the program and also exclude people from your domain. This will get the email performance report to be usefull. Also use company web activity report here as well filtered by the dates of the program...
Dan_Stevens_

I did have to revert to this approach to see where the discripencies were.  But this still doesn't provide a single, summary report of the campaign - especially one that I can subscribe our users to receive on a regular basis.  Sure, I can take data from various reports and assemble the results myself, but I would expect Marketo to provide this functionality out of the box.  Every ESP I've used in the past provided this capability.
Anonymous
Not applicable

We should look at pushing engagment data into MSCR then based on the existing intergration...
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Hey Dan,

You were informed incorrectly.  The Email Performance Report will count only one open and one click per recipient.  Email Link Performance differs slightly, as it will show a net total of clicks on a given link, and then the number of unique recipients which clicked the listed link.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kenny, can you point the the documentation here? Is it just the "sends" metric that is one-to-many?