SOLVED

Email links do not work in new window

Go to solution
sam_isaacson
Level 1

Email links do not work in new window

Hi all, wondering if anyone has seen this before / has insight / knows a fix:

A client of ours identified an issue last week in which, when they open a Marketo email in a new Outlook window, the links no longer work. The links work fine in the standard "preview" window.

We are not able to recreate it, so we suspect it may have something to do with their internal email security settings, or similar. I have never personally seen this before so any feedback would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Email links do not work in new window

Outlook has a reputation for being notorious with emails, especially with images, spacing issues, etc. As far as the opening links from the client goes, at times Outlook client takes a while to open up the URL in the browser as it runs certain verifications before, and I’ve experienced a couple of isolated cases where the verification window got crashed and the link didn’t open, but that was just specific to my system and limited to that isolated case, and I didn’t see that issue after re-launching the client or accessing the links via the outlook web client. It could be this or as you said the privacy blocks at the client’s end, but in most such cases a warning or such sort of thing do get displayed saying that the certain link has been blocked by the privacy setup in place, so the experience is seamless and the user isn’t in limbo thinking that something is wrong with the URL itself. Having said that, I’d also like to see if other community members have got any such experiences or insights.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Email links do not work in new window

Outlook has a reputation for being notorious with emails, especially with images, spacing issues, etc. As far as the opening links from the client goes, at times Outlook client takes a while to open up the URL in the browser as it runs certain verifications before, and I’ve experienced a couple of isolated cases where the verification window got crashed and the link didn’t open, but that was just specific to my system and limited to that isolated case, and I didn’t see that issue after re-launching the client or accessing the links via the outlook web client. It could be this or as you said the privacy blocks at the client’s end, but in most such cases a warning or such sort of thing do get displayed saying that the certain link has been blocked by the privacy setup in place, so the experience is seamless and the user isn’t in limbo thinking that something is wrong with the URL itself. Having said that, I’d also like to see if other community members have got any such experiences or insights.