SOLVED

Dynamic welcome email journey

Go to solution
Kamilla_Berdin
Level 1

Dynamic welcome email journey

Hello,

I'd like to create a welcome series of emails for new customers.

However, I want the stream to change based on what they click in the welcome email.

EG. Email 1 is the welcome email with 3 choices click on A, click on B, click on C (same email for everyone)

Email 2.1 - if click on A in email 1, only get email 2.1 A

Email 2.2 - if click on B in email 1, only get email 2.2 B

Email 3.3 - email C  etc.

I've seen documentation on a simple welcome email journey - eg. email 1, email 2, email 3

I've also seen documentation on streams, but this seems like it would move people between the different streams based on their lead scores? Lead scoring is not something I'm interested in for the welcome series 

Can someone please explain how I can create an email series based on what people click in the first email?

Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Grace_Brebner3
Level 10

Re: Dynamic welcome email journey

Hi Kamilla,

Assuming you're referring to Marketo's engagement programs. In engagement programs you can change people's stream membership using transition rules or smart campaigns. Transition rules pull people into a new stream based on trigger activity, so your example of link clicking would work here. Smart campaigns will also work, and many people (for a variety of reasons) prefer to use smart campaigns to transition people across streams.

I will just note that making decisions based on clicks can have challenges - you can have false positives/negatives on this and be affected by link scanners - not to say you can't do it, but you'll want to review your data and keep an eye out for things not behaving as you expect.

Hope that helps 🙂

View solution in original post

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Hi Kamilla,

In addition to Grace's comments, a few thoughts to consider if you choose the smart campaign route:

• Make sure you cover the scenarios where a person clicks more than 1 link in your email 1.
  • You can set up 1 campaign with a wait step between sending email 1 and email 2. Do keep in mind though that a person who is in your flow will complete the steps even though you stop the campaign from running. If a person is half way through a flow and you make changes to it, the changes for that person will only apply to the steps they have not completed yet. Journeys can be a bit tricky to manage that way.
  • An alternative would be to break it into a smart campaign for each email step. In that case you would need to include a set of two filters in your smart list to select the correct people to get your timing right. Something along the lines of "Was sent email X in past 7 days" AND "Was sent email X before past 6 days".
  • Which email to send in a step is something you can define with choices in your flow step to send the next email.

Depending of the complexity of your entire flow an engagement program could be easier to manage, but for a simple 2 or 3 step flow it should be easy enough to do with smart campaigns.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Katja

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Grace_Brebner3
Level 10

Hi Kamilla,

Assuming you're referring to Marketo's engagement programs. In engagement programs you can change people's stream membership using transition rules or smart campaigns. Transition rules pull people into a new stream based on trigger activity, so your example of link clicking would work here. Smart campaigns will also work, and many people (for a variety of reasons) prefer to use smart campaigns to transition people across streams.

I will just note that making decisions based on clicks can have challenges - you can have false positives/negatives on this and be affected by link scanners - not to say you can't do it, but you'll want to review your data and keep an eye out for things not behaving as you expect.

Hope that helps 🙂

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Hi Kamilla,

In addition to Grace's comments, a few thoughts to consider if you choose the smart campaign route:

• Make sure you cover the scenarios where a person clicks more than 1 link in your email 1.
  • You can set up 1 campaign with a wait step between sending email 1 and email 2. Do keep in mind though that a person who is in your flow will complete the steps even though you stop the campaign from running. If a person is half way through a flow and you make changes to it, the changes for that person will only apply to the steps they have not completed yet. Journeys can be a bit tricky to manage that way.
  • An alternative would be to break it into a smart campaign for each email step. In that case you would need to include a set of two filters in your smart list to select the correct people to get your timing right. Something along the lines of "Was sent email X in past 7 days" AND "Was sent email X before past 6 days".
  • Which email to send in a step is something you can define with choices in your flow step to send the next email.

Depending of the complexity of your entire flow an engagement program could be easier to manage, but for a simple 2 or 3 step flow it should be easy enough to do with smart campaigns.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Katja