Re: Dynamic landing page text - display a URL parameter value in a rich text field for anonymous visitors?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic landing page text - display a URL parameter value in a rich text field for anonymous visitors?

Is it possible to dynamically display the value of a URL parameter in a welcome message in a rich text field on a landing page for anonymous visitors?

I tried using a token for a custom field in a rich text block on a landing page.  The MKTO form uses a URL parameter for that field.  I added the URL parameter to the link to the landing page.  Unfortunately, the token couldn't see the parameter associated with the field on the MKTO form.

I looked at dynamic content and that seems to be driven by segmentation.  Since this is targeted for an anonymous visitor, I'm not sure that segmentation applies.

Perhaps someone who knows Javascript can suggest some code to display a welcome message that includes the value of the URL parameter?

Here's the spec:
- Create a MKTO landing page link with a URL parameter:  http://info.testcompany.com/marketo-landing-page.html?utm_source=AcmeWidgets
- Create a dynamic text block on the landing page that reads the url parameter and displays:  Welcome AcmeWidgets  

And if someone wants to volunteer to suggest some javascript, can you please also tell me how to format the text block in Javascript so I can try to get the welcome message font to match the other Arial 20 font on the landing page?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

- Dani

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dynamic landing page text - display a URL parameter value in a rich text field for anonymous visitors?

You should be able to create a segment based on "Is annonymus" and "is not annonymus" and meet you requirments for dynamic content. Not sure if this meets the requirment of passing the URL paramater to a rich text block...
Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

Marketo doesn't allow you to extract the URL paramter and use it as a token in the landing page. You can only extract the value from the URL in the form as an hidden field.
We did something on similar lines for one of our customers (like Marketo does for its landing pages). We started reading the Munchkin cookie on the browser of the user and started displaying dynamic information using that cookie on the landing page. I see you want the dynamic content with URL tagged with Google analytics code.
For first time users, you can add any standard welcome message. For repeat users, where you already have Google Analytics cookie, you can pick information from there and start displaying it dynamically on your landing page.
You can try this approach and see if it works for you. Let me know if you need more help on this.