SOLVED

Dynamic content on confirmation page

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic content on confirmation page

We have a confirmation page that uses dynamic content based on values selected in the form on the corresponding landing page. This is how I'd like it to work:

1. Complete form on landing page
2. Click submit
3. Directed to confirmation page with dynamic content (segmented by) based on the event location selected in the form

However, when I implemented this, it appeared that the value from the form field was saved to the lead record AFTER they were directed to the confirmation page (it appeared as the same hour/min/sec in the activity log but after in list of activities, assuming they are listed chronologically).  As a result, the content on the confirmation page was wrong.

To get around this, I tried creating an intermediary page that redirects to the confirmation page after 5 seconds. However, even with the 5 second delay, the visit to the confirmation page appeared BEFORE the event field was updated in the activity log.

Is it possible to do what I'm trying to do?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Re: Dynamic content on confirmation page

Allison,

This depends on what type of dynamic content you want to display. If it is something small, like the user's verbatim entry into one of your form fields, then consider using tokens on your confirmation page to achieve this. You may find that the performance is better than using segmentations. If tokens are not sufficient because you require entire paragraphs, images, etc. to be dynamic then you can look into owning the form landing page yourself. This would be more complicated to implement but if you are interested -> in this case, when the user fills out your form (you would own the landing page and the form) you would leverage Marketo's Muchkin API to associate the information entered in the form with an existing lead in Marketo (or create a new lead if one doesn't already exist). This way, not only will Marketo have the information entered in the form but from there you could also direct the user to your own confirmation page where you would show appropriate content using some basic JavaScript that would pivot off of the user's form entry (you would need to store the entered form values somewhere to your site locally and then pivot off of that). These two options are probably your best bets if segmentations truly won't work due to time constraints.

Hope that helps!

Justin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Allison, 

I've heard that there can sometimes be up to a 20 minute delay assigning data to a lead. It may be easier to send the confirmation information 5-10 minutes later in an email using tokens that contain customized info for that lead. 
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Allison,

This depends on what type of dynamic content you want to display. If it is something small, like the user's verbatim entry into one of your form fields, then consider using tokens on your confirmation page to achieve this. You may find that the performance is better than using segmentations. If tokens are not sufficient because you require entire paragraphs, images, etc. to be dynamic then you can look into owning the form landing page yourself. This would be more complicated to implement but if you are interested -> in this case, when the user fills out your form (you would own the landing page and the form) you would leverage Marketo's Muchkin API to associate the information entered in the form with an existing lead in Marketo (or create a new lead if one doesn't already exist). This way, not only will Marketo have the information entered in the form but from there you could also direct the user to your own confirmation page where you would show appropriate content using some basic JavaScript that would pivot off of the user's form entry (you would need to store the entered form values somewhere to your site locally and then pivot off of that). These two options are probably your best bets if segmentations truly won't work due to time constraints.

Hope that helps!

Justin
Anonymous
Not applicable

We opted to create separate landing pages and confirmation pages due to the uncertainty in the time to update the segments.  It was a little more work but still easy to implement.  I'll consider using our own form next time.  Thank you!