SOLVED

Dynamic Content for Tradeshow Follow-up

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic Content for Tradeshow Follow-up

We have approximately 10 different Product Interest fields that reference individual pieces of collateral.  This field is a pick list so a prospect could be interested in more than one product.

I'm trying to find a way to automate a follow-up message that populates links to collateral based on the lead's area of interest.  

Example:

If a lead is intersted in Product A then provide a link in the email to Product A collateral
If inerested in Product A & Product B provide link to Product A & B Collateral
If interested in Product B & C and not A then provide a link to Product B & C Collateral only.

If anyone has an easy solution to this I would greatly appreciate it.

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Matt_Stone2
Level 9

Re: Dynamic Content for Tradeshow Follow-up

It will be a lot of tedious work, but you should be able to do it if you create 10 unique segmentations, one for each product. So for example, you'd have Product A Segmentation with a "Interested" and a "Default" category within. For "Interested" you'd set the smart list however you are identifying this within your database.

Do one of those for each unique product.

Then in your email, you'd have to add all 10 segmentations and only drop the corresponding table row into each one. So for Product A, you'd only drop the Product A table row. Then, for the "Default" category, you'd have no content in that row, but for "Interested," you'd have your links.

Do this all the way down and each one will judge whether to populate the links or not.

It's kind of a hard thing to conceptualize, but hopefully my explanation makes sense.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Matt_Stone2
Level 9

Off the top of my head, I would do something like this:

Create an email template with table rows for each product interest. Set each one with a unique ID and Marketo editable. Next, go into your lead database and build out segmentations for each product interest (e.g. Product A Interest Segmentation). Use this email template and make each row dynamic to the corresponding segmentation.

Leave the rows empty by default, but populate with the link if the segmentation says they're interested.

You'll have to play around with it a bit to make it look good, but I think this should work.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the follow-up Matt.

The table is definitely how I would want to display the links.  However, it seems the dynamic segments will only correspond with one product interest field.  I would like the table to populate links to collateral for any product the lead may be interested in.

This leads me to believe I would have to create segments in my database for each individual product, and also for all the different combinations of products.  So the smartlist would be Product Interest is Product A, Product B, etc.  and also crate smartlists for Product Interest is Product A and Product B, Product A and Produc C, Product A and Produc D, and so on.  

I'm not sure if there's a way accomplich this without doing a lot of work but I figured the community was my best shot.
Matt_Stone2
Level 9

It will be a lot of tedious work, but you should be able to do it if you create 10 unique segmentations, one for each product. So for example, you'd have Product A Segmentation with a "Interested" and a "Default" category within. For "Interested" you'd set the smart list however you are identifying this within your database.

Do one of those for each unique product.

Then in your email, you'd have to add all 10 segmentations and only drop the corresponding table row into each one. So for Product A, you'd only drop the Product A table row. Then, for the "Default" category, you'd have no content in that row, but for "Interested," you'd have your links.

Do this all the way down and each one will judge whether to populate the links or not.

It's kind of a hard thing to conceptualize, but hopefully my explanation makes sense.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Matt is right. One picklist choice for each should do the trick in terms of getting the segmentation to work.

It'd look something like:

Choice 1: Product A & B
Choice 2: Product B & C
Choice 3: Product C

etc.
Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

Hi Stephen

Seeing your original requirement, I think I have a solution for you. 
We will be creating a resource centre page and a form with check boxes for 10 different options. In this case, let's say product A,B,C.....J
If your user comes on the page, he can select A, D, I or any combination of the products. When he submits the form, he would see download links for A, D and I only.

I have a functional prototype ready for this. Drop me a line at info@grazitti.com and I can show you that in action.

Regards
Alok
Anonymous
Not applicable

Matt, thanks for the response!  Your suggestion totally worked out for me.  It was a little hard to conceptualize at first but the content is responding exactly how I wanted it to.  

I do have one more question though.  Now that the table is populating with links and images there is sometimes a lot of white space.  Is there anyway to automatically center whatever links are being pulled into the email?  Or maybe a way to remove the table cells that aren't being used?

Thanks again, your advice was spot on.
Matt_Stone2
Level 9

Unfortunately, this is going to be the really tricky part to what you're doing. I would take a look at some of the solutions here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12023771/hide-empty-cells-in-table -- and then just play around with different things you can do with CSS.

Just keep in mind that email clients are a pain to code for, with some interpreting HTML and CSS like it's 1998 and others accepting more modern code.