Re: Durable Unsubscribe - anyone have any issues with it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Durable Unsubscribe - anyone have any issues with it?

I am looking to clean up my Marketo database and plan to use SFDC record type to keep out most 'unmarketable' records from Marketo after I delete them in Marketo - but keep them in SFDC (b/c I can, before anyone asks 🙂

I just want to make sure that if that email address comes back into Marketo for whatever reason as a new lead, the Unscribe will kick in. 

From my understanding this is the expected behavior in Marketo per the blip from the knowledgebase article on Durable Unsubscribe. 

Just checking to see if anyone has had other, "unexpected" experience with this as I want to make sure to stay in compliance and all that good stuff.

Creating a New Lead
  • When a new lead is created, we check it against the master email status table.  If the lead was previously unsubscribed, we will update the record to be unsubscribed.

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Janet!

I have not heard of any problems with durable unsubscribe. We've set it so that unsubscribes are in a separate database table from the rest of the lead record, so when you delete your data, it has a separate data source with the unsubscribe information. Any time you upload a new lead with an email address in that list, we'll set it unsubscribed again.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Autumn! I look forward to seeing you at the summit.  Need more Autumntaskic tips and tricks 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm doing the same thing.  Thanks for asking this question for me.  I have a follow on question.  Once we delete the leads from Marketo, is there a way we can get a list of the all the durable unsubscribes in Marketo?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Tom,

There is no way to get this list from the Marketo interface, but our engineering team has access to this data. If you need this information, please ask Marketo Support to file a service request with engineering.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Autumn - I have follow up on this.

When leads receive a Forward to Friend they are automatically Unsubscribed in Marketo.

Does the system automotically Change Data Value of Unsubscribed to False if they fill out a form or do I have to run a campaign to Change Data Value of Unsubscribed to False when that occurs or 'as I see fit' 🙂  Guessing you would recommend sending in Opt-in email to all that are forwarded an email? Again question is if they opt-in, will the system remove the Unsubsribe if i change it to false?

Fine either way, just good to know what to expect.  Thousand thanks.
Edward_Masson
Level 10

JanetJoz, Its set as Unsubscribed by default from a Forward to a Friend. I dont believe Marketo system automatically changes to False when an unsubscribed fills out a form, you have to build this yourself.

I too am going through a data clean up so to reduce our database size. We have gone over our account limit and need to trim where we can. I did not know about this Master Unsubscribe table. we have a very large Unsubcribe in our instance (over 1 million).

If I'm reading this right from JantetJoz point, If I delete the 1 million unsubscribe list, and they come back in the system from a tradeshow list upload they will be marked as Unsubscribed based on the Master list even though they dont exist in the instance anymore? this sounds brilliant.

And if they dont exist, and they get in and my smart campaign is running with a trigger for Filled out form or List upload with Unsubscribe is True, Chnage data value - Unsubscribe is False - this will work?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Edward,

You said, " If I delete the 1 million unsubscribe list, and they come back in the system from a tradeshow list upload they will be marked as Unsubscribed based on the Master list even though they dont exist in the instance anymore?" Yes, that is correct.

The big downside to deleting your unsubscribe list is that you lose all their activity history and other information, which can make any historical reporting you do look pretty strange. If you're keeping all this data somewhere else outside of Marketo, that may not matter as much, but it's an important point to keep in mind when you're deciding how you want to manage your database.

You can absolutely set it so that filling out a form will set unsubscribe back to false - either through a campaign as you mentioned, or you can even make unsubscribe = false a hidden field on your form (just make sure not do to that on your unsubscribe form!).

Naomi_Marr1
Level 2

@Autumn or another Marketo employee:

How do you prevent SFDC integration from just pushing the records back into Marketo after the unsub records have been deleted from Marketo?

Also, if someone fills out a form is the unsub still durable or is it only durable if uploaded via a list?

Any advice you can provide is much appreciated.

To the folks that have already deleted their unsubscribe lists, did you run into any gotchas after doing so or did it go OK?

Thanks! Naomi