SOLVED

Duplicate Leads

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Duplicate Leads

When there is a duplicate in an email campaign, which one wins? Is it the lead or the contact? Or is the account that was created most recently?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Duplicate Leads

Hi Sherice,

That's a tricky question!  I'm not sure if this answers exactly what you're asking, but I'll give it a shot.

If you have two duplicate records in CRM with the exact same email address, values from one of those CRM records will sync over to Marketo (ie. there will be one Marketo record) which would then be evaluated in your email campaign.

If you have two duplicate records with slightly different email addresses (eg. joe@ringlead.com and jfusaro@ringlead.com) those would be two separate Marketo records and you would send out one email to both of those records.  I'm sure you can think of a few ways that this situation may throw off your marketing campaigns included deflated open rates and mixed messaging to prospects and/or customers.

If you're interested in the topic of data quality, here's a link to our free whitepaper which (among other cool use cases) showcases the RingLead integration with Marketo which allows for duplicate removal and prevention in both Salesforce and Marketo.

http://ww2.ringlead.com/CoolThingsYouCanDowithWebhooks_Download_b.html

I
 hope this helps!

- Joe

P.S. - I looked through some help articles after posting here, and this help article is relevant.  It discusses the Master Record selection process, and the Contact in Salesforce will always win.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

In theory it processes the list of qualified members in order. This has nothing to do with Salesforce. So my best guess would be the lead with the lowest Marketo ID number (so earliest entry date).
Anonymous
Not applicable

"In another case, say you run a campaign to email your lead database and two duplicates are included in your campaign run. Marketo automatically detects the duplicate email address and ensures that only one email is sent to that lead. That email send and subsequent activity will be attributed to the most recently updated lead."

http://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000KytMCAS

Hope that helps!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sherice,

That's a tricky question!  I'm not sure if this answers exactly what you're asking, but I'll give it a shot.

If you have two duplicate records in CRM with the exact same email address, values from one of those CRM records will sync over to Marketo (ie. there will be one Marketo record) which would then be evaluated in your email campaign.

If you have two duplicate records with slightly different email addresses (eg. joe@ringlead.com and jfusaro@ringlead.com) those would be two separate Marketo records and you would send out one email to both of those records.  I'm sure you can think of a few ways that this situation may throw off your marketing campaigns included deflated open rates and mixed messaging to prospects and/or customers.

If you're interested in the topic of data quality, here's a link to our free whitepaper which (among other cool use cases) showcases the RingLead integration with Marketo which allows for duplicate removal and prevention in both Salesforce and Marketo.

http://ww2.ringlead.com/CoolThingsYouCanDowithWebhooks_Download_b.html

I
 hope this helps!

- Joe

P.S. - I looked through some help articles after posting here, and this help article is relevant.  It discusses the Master Record selection process, and the Contact in Salesforce will always win.