SOLVED

Re: Duplicate issues with Ringlead Webhook and Account Matching

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Duplicate issues with Ringlead Webhook and Account Matching

We've recently started using the Ringlead web-to-lead dedupe webhook inside Marketo, and are encountering issues with duplicate creation when using the "Search for an Existing Account" feature. The issue I'm noticing is a lead that's created that matches to an existing account is immediately created on the SFDC end as a contact in the matched account with an original source of "Salesforce.com", and then a duplicate Salesforce Lead is created a few moments later once the Marketo sync catches up, but it has the correct original source of "filled out form". 

So while the script is technically working in matching the lead to the account, it's creating a duplicate in the process, which is obviously not ideal. I've already engaged Ringlead support on this, but I'm curious if anyone else is leveraging the Ringlead webhook AND the Search for an Existing Account feature. Have you seen a similar issue? Any suggested workarounds?

Thanks in advance!
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info, Jeff. 

I wonder if setting up automated RingLead de-duping in Marketo, as I've done, would help you out.

What I did was implement the manual method they outline here (be sure to see my note re: trigger vs. filter). Next, I added a new Smart Campaign in the same program ("01 Ongoing: Add Dupes to RingLead Dedupe List"), which runs nightly and checks for Duplicate Fields: Email Address, then adds user to the RingLead Dedupe List, which triggers the RingLead webhook in the other Smart Campaign.

Here's the automated Smart Campaign I have setup:

0EM50000000RIdE.jpg

0EM50000000RIdJ.jpg

0EM50000000RIdO.jpg

0EM50000000RIdT.jpg

0EM50000000RIdY.jpg

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jeff-

I'm not using the Search for an Existing Account feature - where is that? - but we have had a number of issues with RingLead in Marketo. 

Working through the issues with RingLead, but definitely frustrating.

This issue turned out to be caused by RingLead, too, and I still don't have an explanation from them on why that happened - or assurance that it won't happen again.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Gabe,

Thanks for sharing the insight. The Search for an Existing Account feature is in the Web To Lead configuration, in the same area where you configure lead and contact deduping. I use it because I get a lot of new contacts at existing clients through my webforms.

Thanks for linking your other thread, I was seeing something very similar in my instance, but only when I had the account matching feature enabled. I'm currently running (and have been running) Ringlead Lead and Contact deduping on my webforms with no significant issue.

From what I've observed, here's how the existing account matching works: Ringlead checks against matching account variables, and if a match is found, the lead is immediately converted (by Ringlead) to a contact on the matching account. The problem I've seen is that because Ringlead is the one creating/converting the lead in Salesforce, Marketo seems to miss the cue to match its not-yet-synced lead to the existing contact with matching email address. Prior to the Marketo-SFDC sync occuring, I first see a new lead in Market with all the real lead source data (the form they submitted, their lead source, etc). Almost instantly a contact with the same form data appears on the matched account but with a source of Salesforce.com and no lead source .

Then, once the sync catches up, the contact syncs back to Marketo as a new Marketo lead, and the original Marketo lead syncs to SFDC as a new SFDC lead. 

So right now, Ringlead (for this particular functionality) is doing exactly the opposite of what I want. I'm currently working with Ringlead's techs, who've escalated it to Marketo to assist. I'll update once I know more. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info, Jeff. 

I wonder if setting up automated RingLead de-duping in Marketo, as I've done, would help you out.

What I did was implement the manual method they outline here (be sure to see my note re: trigger vs. filter). Next, I added a new Smart Campaign in the same program ("01 Ongoing: Add Dupes to RingLead Dedupe List"), which runs nightly and checks for Duplicate Fields: Email Address, then adds user to the RingLead Dedupe List, which triggers the RingLead webhook in the other Smart Campaign.

Here's the automated Smart Campaign I have setup:

0EM50000000RIdE.jpg

0EM50000000RIdJ.jpg

0EM50000000RIdO.jpg

0EM50000000RIdT.jpg

0EM50000000RIdY.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Gabe,

Interesting idea. The tech who I was working with did mention the batch fix I could run on possible duplicates, and that DID resolve the duplicates, so that's an interesting concept I'll have to try. Thanks for sharing!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gave it a test...running the duplicates through this workflow does resolve the duplicate in Marketo, and gets the correct info over to the contact in salesforce, but it ends up orphaning the SFDC lead from a matched Marketo lead. So I end up with one Marketo lead, one SFDC contact that matches it, and a separate SFDC lead. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad it mostly worked, Jeff, and yes, the separate lead/contact records in SFDC is a challenge we're facing, too.

RingLead Data Cleanse may be the missing piece here, and we plan to look into it also:

http://www.ringlead.com/salesforce-applications/data-cleanse/
Erin_Pinkowski
Level 2

Jeff,
We are are currently experiencing this same issue you mention above.  Someone fills out a webform and is created in Marketo.  Once the Ringlead webhook is called, Ringlead creates the new contact on the existsing account (as it should).  However, this new contact syncs back to Marketo and is created as a duplicate record with a source of salesforce.com.  So what I end up with is a contact record in SF on the existsing account with no campaign activity, a lead record in SF with the campaign activity and then two records in Marketo.  Were you able to find a fix for this issue?
Ande_Kempf4
Level 5 - Champion Alumni

Hi Jeff Shearer - I was wondering if you by chance were able to find a resolution to your original issue with dupe records created by RingLead. We're experiencing the same issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Ande Kempf​ nah - I'm at a different company now and we don't have Ringlead here. I never solved it there though - we just switched off that bit of functionality.