Does MktoForms2 have an onFailure? Is there a way for my codebase to log if a form submit fails

Steve_Chang
Level 1

Does MktoForms2 have an onFailure? Is there a way for my codebase to log if a form submit fails

For MktoForms2, there is an .onSuccess(callback)

but there doesn't seem to be a .onFailure(callback)

I've read through the api many times, I can't seem to figure out a way to find out if the form submit has failed.

Is there a way to do this? How do other people ensure they are aware when a form submission fails?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Does MktoForms2 have an onFailure? Is there a way for my codebase to log if a form submit fails

Steve_Chang
Level 1

Re: Does MktoForms2 have an onFailure? Is there a way for my codebase to log if a form submit fails

Hi Sanford Whiteman‌, thanks so much for the blog post and the expertise.

I'm trying to implement it now. It occurred to me... is there any way to test my implementation? How would I be able to make it fail on purpose?

Question 2: "Remember, onSubmitError is for network and server errors, like a TCP/IP timeout/reset or a down server returning 404 or 500." - So, does it catch things like 'invalidInputMsg' or 'formSubmitFailedMsg'?

So far, I am unable to catch it when I intentionally try to fail by sending an incomplete form:

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 12.04.43 PM.png

When I get that error, my callback isn't getting called in FormsPlus.onSubmitError(myCallback). I can see that FormsPlus is correctly defined when I console.log(FormsPlus), so it's just not being called. 

So my question is, can those errors be caught using this method (in which case I implemented it wrong). Or can they not be caught?

In addition, are there any additional thoughts you have around how to best ensure the form submits go through properly?

TL;DR:

Question 1: How do I get my request to fail on purpose to test the implementation?

Question 2: is onSubmitError suppose to be able to catch invalidInputMsg

Thanks, I appreciate it. 

SanfordWhiteman

How are you generating invalid input - and how is this input invalid on the server side but would not be caught by onValidate on the client?

Steve_Chang
Level 1

I see I see.

That's my mistake, we just do our own client side validation. In order to get that message 'invalidInputMsg' I removed the client side validation. But, it does get caught by the onValidate(callback). I will use that.

So that answers question 2, which was an oversight of onValidate() on my part.

I'm still curious if there is a way I could test if I have implemented onSubmitError correctly? Is there a way to get it to fail on purpose?

Thanks

SanfordWhiteman

I'm still curious if there is a way I could test if I have implemented onSubmitError correctly? Is there a way to get it to fail on purpose?

I run my requests through a proxy that I can set to drop packets.

You could change your HOSTS file (after loading the form!) so the destination URL of the form post is unreachable, i.e.

0.0.0.0 app-sj01.marketo.com
kimkijung
Level 1

Hi Sanford,

Longtime fan of your work here, and would like to chime-in on this issue as I am having a bit of an issue myself with this. I understand this post is older and I might be bringing it back from the dead, but I think it is relevant as this is the post that is closest to the issue I'm having.

You mentioned checking for form field input data with Marketo Forms 2.0 API, using .validate or .onValidate as needed to handle invalid input errors. I implemented this, but the problem I'm having is that the email field in Marketo seems to validate differently using form.validate() and the actual validation that occurs on the server. For example, if I try to validate "aaa@a" using form.validate(), it passes, but when submitted, it'll return a 400 for invalid email address.

Since these types of errors are harder to come across, I wanted to add an error handler on the form.submit() method so that it'll at least relay this information back to the user since relying on form.validate or validation methods from the forms 2.0 API already proved to be a little unreliable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

SanfordWhiteman

That level of validation (on the server) is new in Marketo.

In any case, you don't have to (and shouldn't) use onSubmit. You still use onValidate, but wait for the native validation to pass first.

MktoForms2.whenReady(function(mktoForm){
  mktoForm.onValidate(function(nativeValid){
    if(!nativeValid) return;

// native validation has passed and you can now extend w/custom validation rules

});
});

kimkijung
Level 1

return MktoForms2.whenReady((form) => {
form.vals(this.formData);
console.log(form.validate());
if (!form.validate()) {
return;
}
// submit form if it passes Marketo validation
return form.submit();
});

Hmm, is "native validation" the one done on Marketo servers? I'm using form.validate() and using the returned boolean as a check to see if the Marketo validation is passing. The problem I'm having is that form.validate() returns true with "aaa@a" but the actual form.submit() will fail with a 400.

This could be fixed if I can match my client-side validation to use the same one from Marketo server-side validation, but the problem still exists and if it happens again, there's no elegant way to relay this information back to the user due to the missing onFailure callback. 

SanfordWhiteman

No, native validation is the native client-side validation. (This should be clear b/c of where it's happening, before the form is submitted.)

You can perform additional client-side validation once the native is complete. Lots of examples of this on other community posts.

Remember that arrow functions are not compatible with any version of IE. They shouldn't be used on demand gen pages.