Does anyone have experience running Marketo and Pardot on the same Salesforce instance?

Umar_Whitney3
Level 2

Does anyone have experience running Marketo and Pardot on the same Salesforce instance?

I am checking to see if anyone has experience running Marketo and Pardot on the same Salesforce instance. I am interested in issues, challenges, and best practices in having both of these Marketing automation platforms running together.

Umar

4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Does anyone have experience running Marketo and Pardot on the same Salesforce instance?

did you search here first?

Considerations

• which systems are doing what? Poor division of labor will lead to bad data.
  • Yes, you can have both since Marketo and Pardot use different connectors (diff than 2 marketo instances, which is not permitted)
  • Do you plan to use both going forward?
  • Which fields does each system use? For example, do you have the same Lead Score field being use by both systems? That could be bad
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Does anyone have experience running Marketo and Pardot on the same Salesforce instance?

I would be very careful running 2 different Marketing Automation systems on the same SFDC (whatever MA vendor you are considering). It might be difficult to prevent a same lead created in MA1 to flow to SFDC and from there to MA2 and the be targeted in both systems by campaigns with contradictory targeting. Managing unsusbcribe would also be trIcky.

So if you want to process, you need to think very carefully on how you are going to manage or preventing data sharing between the 2 systems.

-Greg

Umar_Whitney3
Level 2

Hi Josh and Gregoire,

Thank you for the advice. We are a company that has been acquired and the parent company uses one MA and we use Marketo. My thinking is that we would use ID fields such as Marketo ID and Pardot ID combined with a master MA system field. This master field could be set to Marketo or Pardot. Then we would modify all lead assignment rules and workflows to include these ID fields and the master MA system field. If the Master MA system field says Marketo then Salesforce would behave one way. If the Master MA system field contained Pardot then Salesforce would behave another way. We have thought about duplicates in our businesses and these leads would have to be treated in a special way. The two businesses sell different products and therefore the messaging would be different. We would also create duplicate core fields for scoring such as Marketo Score and Pardot Score, Marketo Lead Source, Pardot Lead Source, and so on. Then it would take care in our reporting to separate or combine data in a Salesforce report.

I thought this would be a common occurrence as people are evaluating and switching between systems all the time.  I think the cross talk/syncing problem could be handled by a smart ID and MA owner field strategy. Our goal is to setup Marketo so it can be properly evaluated in the greater business and we can make the final decisions on which system to keep later.

Do you have any other concerns?

Thanks for your insight.

Umar Whitney

Katy_Thomas
Level 1

Hi Umar,

I know this is an old post but I have the same question and scenario and I'm curious if you moved ahead with two MA solution pointing to a single instance of Salesforce.

Ty!