Do subject line tests overwrite subject lines within the email builder?

Mansi_Singh
Level 1

Do subject line tests overwrite subject lines within the email builder?

When i build emails for A/B Tests i add ' A/B test' in the subject line within the email builder to remind myself this email should be tested.

When the A/B test is set up and launched - the original subject line 'A/B test' is overwritten, right?

1 REPLY 1
Grace_Brebner3
Level 10

Re: Do subject line tests overwrite subject lines within the email builder?

Hey Mansi,

Broadly yes, but there's some differences to how, depending on exactly how you set your test up (and whether you're doing A/B testing or Champion/Challenger testing - if you're working in an Email Program it'll be A/B testing, if not, Champ/Challenger).

If you overwrite the original subject line in your test settings, e.g.

Champion challenger:

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 9.21.04 AM.png

A/B test:

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 9.20.53 AM.png

Or, if you don't overwrite the subject but, when using a champion challenger, set 100% of recipients to receive the challenger:

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 9.20.44 AM.png

Note that this method doesn't apply to A/B testing because in this scenario all test variants would be sent to all of the audience instead of the typical all test variants sent to a portion of the audience then the "winner" being sent to the remaining.

I will note thought that personally I always set my subject line in the email to be a subject line I intend on testing. Following these methods invites a degree of risk that the test won't be added and an email will go out with the subject "A/B TEST THIS EMAIL". I would rather accidentally forget to A/B test than do that