Do Lead Partitions work like Segmentation's?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do Lead Partitions work like Segmentation's?

My question here is will Marketo automatically reassign a lead to a different partition if the data on the lead changes?

Or does assignment only happen once?

Example:

My lead assignment rules are as follows.
  • If country is "United States" assign to US Partition. 
  • If country is "United Kingdom" assing to UK Partition.

Lets say John came into my database with his country set as United States so he gets assigned to the US Partition. In three weeks John comes back to my site fills out another form and changes his country value to United Kingdom, Will Marketo see this change in the country field and reassign him to the UK Partition?

Thank you for your time.
3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Do Lead Partitions work like Segmentation's?

Ok, so I wrote this whole explanation and the Community broke.

The answer is a lead is assigned to an LP that it's WS can see. It happens ONCE.

You can move a Lead if you want, but you will need to setup workflows in each WS to move leads to another partition.

It works like this;

Lead Partition:
  • UK
  • US
  • ROW
Each WS can see 1 or more LPs. For simplicity, let's look at a 1-1 relationship:
  • UK
  • US
  • ROW
If you have a UK based Form, the lead will be deposited into the UK LP. If the lead comes back in 3 weeks and tries a US based Form, then it will create a NEW lead in the US LP.

To move a lead, the WS needs to be able to access more than 1 partition. You can use the Change Lead Partition action and make this movement automatic, but you have to TELL Marketo to do this.

Read this:
https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000KyxACAS

Read this:
https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000KyxC
If you sync with Salesforce, make sure to use the first workspace as your Corporate workspace.   New Salesforce leads will go into that workspace, then you can use a campaign to assign them to the appropriate partition
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your insight Josh!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate it when the community breaks after you spend time writing something thoughtful. I have been getting in the habit of copying everything I write just before clicking post in case I need to reload the page.

Josh, this is a great write up. I have a question. Could you give the default WS access to all LPs, but maintain a one to one relationship with the rest? Default could then be used to direct and move leads across partitions and consequently workspaces. Also, would this prevent a duplicate from occuring?