SOLVED

Deleting Blocked Leads out of Marketo

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deleting Blocked Leads out of Marketo

We have a large number of leads in our system that are blocked from mailings b/c their email is invalid, suspended, unsubscribed ... etc.

I'm interested in best practice from other MKTO users on how to manage this segment of the database.

Do you recommend to delete them from MKTO?

I'm keeping on eye on the ratio of total leads to marketable leads in our database.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Deleting Blocked Leads out of Marketo

I would be very careful about deleting any records.

• Unsubscribes are added to a special Unsubs Master Table behind the scenes, so deleting such records isn't actually a problem.
  • I would only delete non SFDC Contacts because Contacts could be customers or contain information you may need legally. So you can delete out of Marketo, but not out of SFDC.
  • Download the leads before you delete.
  • I would set up criteria to determine whom to delete - Inactive, Invalid, Bounced Hard, etc... May not want to remove unsubs unless they are also inactive.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi:

You can go ahead and delete blocked email addresses from Marketo, as they are not real email addresses anyway.

But you should not delete unsubscribes because them you might start sending emails to them.  And furthermore, just because they do not want email from you does not mean the are not going to you website etc... and you will want to know that.

Same with suspended, you want to keep those as well for the same reason

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I would be very careful about deleting any records.

• Unsubscribes are added to a special Unsubs Master Table behind the scenes, so deleting such records isn't actually a problem.
  • I would only delete non SFDC Contacts because Contacts could be customers or contain information you may need legally. So you can delete out of Marketo, but not out of SFDC.
  • Download the leads before you delete.
  • I would set up criteria to determine whom to delete - Inactive, Invalid, Bounced Hard, etc... May not want to remove unsubs unless they are also inactive.
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jamie,

With regards to unsubscribe handling, you may want to read this:

Feeding the Durable Unsubscribe List without increasing the database

-Greg