SOLVED

Deleting/archiving Segmentation in database

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deleting/archiving Segmentation in database

Hi all! Kind of a 'dumb question' here, but was wondering how an email in Marketo could be using a database Segmentation? I'm trying to archive an old (now inaccurate) Segmentation and see in the 'Used By' tab that there are a number of emails that come up. However, when I click on the email, I can't seem to find how the email is using the Segmentation. Anyone know how to fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Keith_Nyberg2
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Re: Deleting/archiving Segmentation in database

Hey Jasmine,

While JD's suggestion works, it requires you to find all assets using the segment and change them to all no longer be dynamic. A simpler solution is to create an archive folder in the segmentations folder named: z_Segment Archive. From there, right click on the folder and select "Convert to Archive". This will remove the segments from visibility in Marketo Smart Campaigns, Smart Lists, etc. without having to delete the segment and untangle all the local assets to hide it.

Example of Archive Folder                                                                             

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 11.59.56 AM.png

Segment Not Visible in Filters post Archive

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 12.00.09 PM.png

Again, this hides everything without actually having to delete.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Check the right-side of your email. Under the 'dynamic' tab:

Screenshot 2018-01-08 14.48.24.png

If it doesn't look like this, then one of your sections of the email HAS dynamic content using segmentation.

Here's an example of one that DOES have dynamic sections:

Screenshot 2018-01-08 14.48.41.png

Keith_Nyberg2

Hey Jasmine,

While JD's suggestion works, it requires you to find all assets using the segment and change them to all no longer be dynamic. A simpler solution is to create an archive folder in the segmentations folder named: z_Segment Archive. From there, right click on the folder and select "Convert to Archive". This will remove the segments from visibility in Marketo Smart Campaigns, Smart Lists, etc. without having to delete the segment and untangle all the local assets to hide it.

Example of Archive Folder                                                                             

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 11.59.56 AM.png

Segment Not Visible in Filters post Archive

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 12.00.09 PM.png

Again, this hides everything without actually having to delete.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Keith,

Would doing it this way free up our 25 allotted segmentations so that we can build more? 

JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

That was going to be my question as well -- I would "hope" so -- but I think otherwise. Curious to know (if anyone is at that limit)...

Keith_Nyberg2

Hey Lauren,

My gut is that archiving will not free up additional segmentations. Even archived segments should stay up to date but due to that, feel that you're always held to 25. I'll do some testing today and get back to the group.

On that note, are you at 25 segments? I too have never had a conversation with someone that has hit the max. At least based on necessity, because segments by nature should be very simple.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are not at 25 yet but getting close.  Some of the old ones need to be cleaned up but no one has the time to do it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is really helpful - thanks, y'all!