SOLVED

Data Retention Policy- Email Sent

Go to solution
Jayant_Singh
Level 3

Data Retention Policy- Email Sent

While data cleanup process, our team focus is to remove the data whom we have not target in last 2 years.  And as per https://nation.marketo.com/t5/Knowledgebase/Marketo-Activities-Data-Retention-Policy-Overview-FAQ/ta...

data retention policy we came to know that it deletes activity after 25 months for Email send.

Problem- In lead activity, we still see email send details in 2016. We found this when setup the filter "Not was sent email" is any.

How can I justify this activity in Marketo?

Jayant
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Beth_Massura
Level 8 - Champion

Re: Data Retention Policy- Email Sent

I've noticed the same thing. When I had inquired about it in the past, the Marketo team explained to me that the data retention policy only dictates how long the data is guaranteed to be available, not when it's guaranteed to be removed. So you may see data that is older than the policy states, but the data may go away at any time, so don't rely on it. Some of it has to do with the rolling time period and there being a little lag before it's deleted, but I suspect the 2016 data may have been in a different database that didn't get worked into the ongoing data removal flow. That was typically the time period I saw old data for.

If you're concerned that the data is potentially being stored much longer than expected then I would follow up with Marketo Support.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Beth_Massura
Level 8 - Champion

Re: Data Retention Policy- Email Sent

I've noticed the same thing. When I had inquired about it in the past, the Marketo team explained to me that the data retention policy only dictates how long the data is guaranteed to be available, not when it's guaranteed to be removed. So you may see data that is older than the policy states, but the data may go away at any time, so don't rely on it. Some of it has to do with the rolling time period and there being a little lag before it's deleted, but I suspect the 2016 data may have been in a different database that didn't get worked into the ongoing data removal flow. That was typically the time period I saw old data for.

If you're concerned that the data is potentially being stored much longer than expected then I would follow up with Marketo Support.

Hope this helps!