SOLVED

Custom munchkin behaviour - enable/disable the munchkin api

Go to solution
NestoJosa
Level 3

Custom munchkin behaviour - enable/disable the munchkin api

Hello Marketo Nation,

First and foremost, thanks for all of the informative posts!

Now, I have a question I was hoping someone could help me answer.

Short background:
- We operate out of Denmark, so we have a two letter country code in our domain.

- In order to place the cookie at the top-level domain, we have made a small change to the default munchkin behavior, by setting the domainLevel to 2, according to the docs: https://developers.marketo.com/javascript-api/lead-tracking/configuration/

- So far so good, we have done several tests and the cookie is being placed at the right level: example.dk

But recently, I found some info in the docs, stating that one must enable the Munchkin API and set a secret key in order to use it:

Configuration

In order to use the Munchkin API, it must be enabled and a secret key set, via the Admin > Integration > Munchkin Menu.

- https://developers.marketo.com/javascript-api/lead-tracking/api-reference/

We never enabled the Munchkin API, or set a secret key, but it still works(!?).

Question

- Is it a requirement to enable the Munchkin API and set a secret key, in order to be able to set the domainLevel? I'm guessing that it is not, taking into consideration that it works.

Note, the only change to the default Munchkin script, was to set the domainLevel.

Thanks for your time!

Best,

Ernie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Custom munchkin behaviour - enable/disable the munchkin api

You don't need to enable the Munchkin API for this. The docs are somewhat confusing, but the enable/disable-able "Munchkin API" refers to the authenticated API, which is actually being deprecated anyway.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You don't need to enable the Munchkin API for this. The docs are somewhat confusing, but the enable/disable-able "Munchkin API" refers to the authenticated API, which is actually being deprecated anyway.

NestoJosa
Level 3

Hi Sanford,

Thanks for the clarification!

Best,

ernie