Re: Custom Field Management Question

Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom Field Management Question

This is probably a pretty basic answer.

I am trying to create a new custom field. Ideally, the field will allow for one of 10 options to be filled in. I have created the custom field. How can I add the choices that the field can be filled in with, and what type of field does it need to be (text, string, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hi Stephen, the values aren't defined anywhere in Marketo, other than where someone would potentially be populating them (such as a form). It can be a text field or a string field, the difference between the two is the number of characters that can be used in each. 

String field supports up to 255 characters and stores them all on a single line.

Text Area field supports up to 3,200 characters and stores them on multiple lines if you need it to.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Stephen - this article might help you: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000LOmJCAW
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kristen, that link is no longer working, probably due to the new community. Do you happen to have an updated link or remember the title of the article so I could search for it? I have the same question as Stephen and am still working to find an answer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I was expecting some sort of drop-down option.

For example, when I create a smart list here in Marketo of "Industry" I am able to pull down from a list of options.

If I create a field name here and ensure that it is always populated with one of the 10 new options I am looking for, will that field name appear in a drop down when creating a smart list?

Apologies if I am not clear!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Stephen,

Did you ever figure this out? I'm working on a similar problem right now. I want to create a brand new field that we haven't had before to ask people to choose between two options of how they would like to implement their free trial. So I created a new field called "Trial Location" but I am stuck with how to add the two choices I want to offer them - where they have to select one or the other -- "On-premises" or "Sandbox Lab."

Where do I add these choices to get them to drop down under my "Trial Location" field on the form?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Allison,

I know you can do this right on the form. Here are the steps:

Be sure you create a field where this information will be captured.

Create a new form in Design Studio.

On the upper-right hand side (select the plus symbol), and find the field that you created. Drag that field into the form. For field type, make sure you use "Select".

Next to the field, click on the answer area, and you can add the options directly in there. You can click on the Advanced editor area if you want the answers to map back to different values on the back-end (for instance "Yes" on the form, could equal "SQL" in your system.

I hope this helps.

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice! Finally something simple - that worked perfectly. I added our two options to the Simple Editor screen. I'm curious where the "Stored Value" will go - like how we will know which option they select when filling out the form. I will experiment with this now...it appears to be set up correctly and easily. Thanks!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad it's helpful!

Stored value is the value that will be stored in Marketo. It will only be different than what form fillers see if you set it up that way in Advanced Editor. For instance, if the value you want to store in Marketo is not necessarily customer-facing, or it doesn't map against your lead scoring programs, you can set up the values that the form fillers see to be different than what it stored in Marketo. That is not the default though, so unless you set it up, stored value will be the same as what form fillers see. If you set up advanced Editor, stored value can be different than what form fillers see.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Only if at least one of each of the 10 values are present in your lead records. Marketo populates the drop down menu in smart lists with the values that physically exist within that field of the lead records.