Creating a token with Variable Data

Kathi_Gosche
Level 4

Creating a token with Variable Data

I want to create a token to use in a campaign that will allow me to append a field of data with new data.

Example:
• Leads uploaded to Marketo as a list
• "Person Notes" field within the list has the notes taken from the conversation I had with the lead
• Now I want to append my custom field, "Marketing Notes", with the new data loaded into "Person Notes" without overwriting what is already there. 

I understand to do this I need to create a token. That's where I'm stuck. How do I create a token that uses the data in the field rather than a pre-determined value? Under "My Tokens" it seems I have to assign a specific value. 

Any help is much appreciated.
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Creating a token with Variable Data

As long as it is a field Marketo recognizes, you should be able to create a token for it. The naming convention is usually {{My.Field_Name}}.  Sometimes it's hard to figure out the exact field name that Marketo uses so I usually go to:
Admin > Field Management > Export Field Names.

There you will find the actual name to add to the {{My.Field_Name_Here}}.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kathi,

Jep has posted a solution here in this Discussion.

Thanks, Ei-Mang

Kathi_Gosche
Level 4

Bentacular,

Thanks for responding.

According to my Field Management window, the friendly name for this field is "Marketing Notes", the API Name is "Marketing_Notes__c". Based off that information, is this what the command would look like:

{{Lead.Person Notes}}|{{Lead.Marketing_Notes__c}}

Thanks,
Kathi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kathi,

From your first post, it sounds like you want to append any info from the Person Notes field into your custom Marketing Notes field. Assuming that's the case, then you'll want to use this flow action:

Change Data Value with Attribute = Marketing Notes and New Value = {{lead.marketing notes}} | {{lead.person notes}}
0EM50000000QAKm.jpg

I just tested it and it worked. As Jep noted in his post, please make sure you test it in your subscription before applying it broadly.

Thanks, Ei-Mang

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, if you use the flow action I suggested above, then the pipe symbol (|) will be appended even if Person Notes is blank. You could use "Add Choice" to detect whether Person Notes is empty or not, if you want to be a bit more fancy.
Kathi_Gosche
Level 4

Thank you very much for your help everyone. It worked like a charm! 

-Kathi