Create a token for date 'x' days from send date

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create a token for date 'x' days from send date

Is it possible to create a date token in an email which shows a given date 5 days from the email send? For a example 'Your trial is due to expire (date here) 5 days from now'
Thanks, Nick

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Edward_Unthank_
Level 10

Re: Create a token for date 'x' days from send date

Not yet! But there is a feature being worked on (with an unknown release date) nicknamed "Munchtions" which will do this kind of date math.

That kind of thing (with a static expiration date not frequently updated) would be best covered with product integration writing dates to Marketo lead fields. Something like REST writing to lead fields with that information.

Or, if you want to get fancy, you could do something like a real product integration writing to a custom SFDC object and then map that over to a custom Marketo object that you can use Velocity email scripting to write messages specifically tailored to product usage.

But in this case, writing a trial expiration date to a lead in the system would actually be quite useful for other marketing and sales activities. That's something that's worst investing energy into getting into Marketo on a lead field, not just temporarily achieved through a program (my.) token.

Cheers,
Edward Unthank | Founder, Etumos

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Nick Thomas (sandbox)​, I believe you can request support to turn on the Munchtions feature that Edward Unthank mentioned.

But I would second Edward in either having a product integration update a lead/contact field (e.g., "Trial Expiry Date") in SFDC or more simply stamping that field via a workflow rule in SFDC, which you could set up quite easily if your trial is always a fixed number of days.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Nick,

This is still marked as not answered, if you're still looking for a solution I believe you can do this with an email script token and a little Velocity script.

Based on your post I think it would be like this:

#set($dateInFiveDays = $date.calendar)

$dateInFiveDays.add(10,120)

$date.format('yyyy-MM-dd',$dateInFiveDays.time)

I created a blog post that has a few examples of date math in Marketo and it may give you some other ideas as well.

-Bill

Bill Lundy

Digital Pi

Anonymous
Not applicable

In case you are looking for similar problem to solve,

Munchtions were cool but unfortunately are not supported anymore.

Email scripting is only 'partially' useful. Among other things, it works only if you want to 'merge' the date in an email. And it does not update the value in the database. More on it at, Do you know when 'not' to use Marketo email scripts?

This DIY webhooks library for Marketo - Marketo LaunchPoint might be useful in such case. Particularly, this one, Web Hook Library

Hope this helps

Rajesh