SOLVED

Cookie in forwarded email

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cookie in forwarded email

Hi,

If I forward an email in my inbox to a friend by clicking the forward button on the email client, like gmail, my information and cookie is also forwarded to her. I know that the other option is to have a "Forward to a friend" link in the email, where my information won't be forwarded to the friend any more, but this doesn't prevent someone from forwarding by clicking the forward button on the email client.

Is there a way to handle this problem? That is to be able to forward the email by clicking the forward button on the email client, but my information and cookie wouldn't get forwarded.

BR
Maya
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Cookie in forwarded email

The only way to strip the tracking code that would essentially have your friend get your prefill info would be to NOT use tracking in the first place.

You can use mktNoTrack in the Class section of the links to remove the code.

An alternative is that the Form has pre-fill turned off so your info doesn't populate when your friend clicks the link.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

The only way to strip the tracking code that would essentially have your friend get your prefill info would be to NOT use tracking in the first place.

You can use mktNoTrack in the Class section of the links to remove the code.

An alternative is that the Form has pre-fill turned off so your info doesn't populate when your friend clicks the link.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was wondering the same. Josh I have 2 questions:
  1. If the mktNoTrack is used on a link in an email, is the click through still recorded for the lead who originally received the email?
  2. If we go the other route and disable the form pre-fill is there still a cookie passed to the forward recipient when they land on the landing page? And then it is only updated if they fill out the form?
Much appreciated!
Mary

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hi Mary, to answer your first question, no. The clicks won't be tracked at all for a link if mktNoTrack is used. For your second question, yes. The cookie from the original recipient of the email will still be passed to the forward recipient when they land on the landing page. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

About the use of mktNoTrack, is it so that it can only be implemented per email, that is to the class of a link in an email, or is it possible to change the setting somewhere so that the mktNoTrack -setting is applied to all email instances sent from Marketo, so that no need to do the setting every time you create a new email?

Thanks in advance
Marzia