Re: Complex Smart List

JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Complex Smart List

I want to send an email to up to 6 contacts per company for a pre-determined list of accounts.  I'm finding that the criteria for picking the "top 6" is too complex to code in mkto and I end up with a list of 10k+ contacts and I use excel to go through company-by-company highlighting 6 and deleting the others (then importing that list of email addresses back to a smart list).

Anyone have any advice on how to get started so I can have marketo automate some of this and not require me to pull data offline before each email to that group?

The criteria we use, in order, to find the 'top 6' are:
1. Checkmark field inidcating 'emergency contact'
2. Most recent opportunity contact (preferably within the past 12 months)
3. any additional contacts, as needed.

If a company has 6 emergency contacts, then we're done with that company and no additional contacts are needed.  If they have 4 and 2 recent opportunity contacts, then we're done; and so-on and so-on.

I was debating creating some excel macros to sort/delete contacts, but that returns me to a manual process instead of complex smart list.

Any brilliant ideas out there?
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Adam_Vavrek1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Is there a specific title or level you'd like to send the email to? Perhaps only send to the C-suite and see where that gets you number-wise?

Or maybe you can only send to those who have had some activity with you recently - filled out an form, visited any web page, opened any email, etc.

I'd be interested to hear others thoughts here.
JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

I can fine-tune and add other criteria that I think would add some value to my list, but one of the root problems is that I only want 6 from any given customer account... I'm not sure how to limit it as some of my accounts have 100+ contacts.  I want to prioritize which 6 we pick, but taking a step back, can we even limit it to 6 in the first place?
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hi JD, I think your idea of picking only 6 people per company is not something that you're going to be able to do on an automated basis -- unless you can find a way in another system like SFDC to label only 6 people from the company. If you can create a field where values 1-6 are populated to contacts per account and are otherwise NULL, then this might be possible. Not sure if this makes sense, or if it's possible to do in SFDC, but it seems like something that my CRM guys would enjoy the challenge of setting up 🙂 Although I doubt everyone else has crazy CRM people like we do.