SOLVED

Company Name Keeps Changing

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Company Name Keeps Changing

We had a call with Marketo support yesterday and this one was of the items raised. It has been escalated, so if we get an answer for a fix, I will post it on here!
Liliana_Cheng1
Level 4

Hey Alice, was this ever resolved? We see this a lot too, mostly with contacts that are associated to custom objects in our SFDC instance.

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

When a field value on the Company/Account object is changed, all lead records associated to the same Company/Account inside of Marketo will have that change made to them as well. The problem we find is that the Change Data Value activity is only logged on the individual lead record where the change was actually made. All other leads associated to the same Company/Account that got the change due to that association will not show the Data Value Change activity at all.

Since SFDC is the owner of the Account object, the next time it syncs, the value from the SFDC side will overwrite the other value. That's why you don't see the value change to the wrong value but do see the correct value coming down from SFDC.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can we prevent this Mike Reynolds​? I understand what is happening but I want to prevent it FROM happening.  Would blocking all Account info from any sort of Non-SFDC Updates solve the issue?

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Dan Donin​ Blocking field updates would stop existing field values from being changed. Check this doc for how: Block Updates to a Field - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Thing to remember though is that this will stop updates to fields only. Brand new values being put in will not be blocked because they're an insert of a new value, not an update to an existing value. So if a new lead comes in with the same company info but has a different value for a field on the Company/Account object, if it's the first new insert of the value into the field, it could still have the same effect.

I'd personally love to see that behavior changed. Best recommendation I can make to that point would be to submit it as an idea in the Ideas section of the Community here.

Yun_Bai1
Level 4

Hi Mike,

Can I ask you a Marketo SFDC sync related question, but not same as this thread question?

Let's say, there is an existing lead with No. of employees >500 already  in both Marketo and SFDC. We have SFDC workflow rule set up for lead update with: if No. of employees >500 , will send SFDC email alert to sales. The lead filled out a form, has a new interesting moment, and got "sync lead updates to SFDC". I believe lead record in SFDC will maintain the same, only the last interesting moment and date will get update. In this case, will update lead information (interesting moment) in SFDC trigger the SFDC email alert? I assume not, but would like to have a confirmation.

Thanks,

Becky

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I realize this is an older thread, but here’s a great explanation from Paul Wilson​ on why this is happening (at least on the MS Dynamics side - and suspect it’s the same for SFDC).

[Accounts Tip] Company Name Mismatch