SOLVED

Combining batch & trigger campaigns

Go to solution
Joseph_Long
Level 2

Combining batch & trigger campaigns

Hello everyone!

Would like a bit of clarity around combining batch campaigns and trigger campaigns.

Right now I have an automated batch campaign that sends an email in a specified date range.

Batch Campaign
Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 8.11.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 8.11.46 AM.png

I also have a trigger campaign that removes people from the batch campaign if there is a data value change on a custom SFDC object.

Trigger Campaign
Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 8.14.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 8.14.14 AM.png

Should these two campaigns be combined or does it make sense to keep them separate? Not sure what the implications are for either approach. The ultimate goal is for the process to be fully automated with recipients automatically being removed from the email flow if their data value changes.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaZuniga
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Combining batch & trigger campaigns

I would try to combine them into one. I would keep your smart list the same, just add a Remove from flow before sending the email. Then choose "If Data Value Changed" is your NPS field, then remove from this campaign, otherwise do nothing. Then people whose NPS hasn't changed will go to the email.

pastedImage_0.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ChristinaZuniga

I would try to combine them into one. I would keep your smart list the same, just add a Remove from flow before sending the email. Then choose "If Data Value Changed" is your NPS field, then remove from this campaign, otherwise do nothing. Then people whose NPS hasn't changed will go to the email.

pastedImage_0.png

Joseph_Long
Level 2

Hi Christina,

Thanks for getting back to me. This approach makes sense as it eliminates having a trigger campaign.

One quick follow-up question. If the flow includes 2 emails the remove flow step would go in the middle, right?

For example:

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 9.00.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 9.00.15 AM.png

A bit confused about the proper order of operations.

ChristinaZuniga

Hi Joseph,

Based on your flow what I think you're saying is "send email 1, if they respond by updating their NPS score then remove them from receiving email 2". Your naming convention makes me think that email 2 is a reminder that they should respond with an NPS.

In this case, you want to switch the wait step and the remove step. Think about it this way, based on the flow above Marketo will send email 1 then immediately remove anyone who updates NPS, but most people won't even have the email in their inbox before the remove step hits so no one will be removed. Then they'll fall into the wait step and everyone will receive the reminder email, regardless of whether they updated NPS.

If you switch steps 2 and 3, then the wait step will hold them for 5 days and then it will remove anyone who has updated, which is what you want. This is the flow I'd recommend:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

Joseph_Long
Level 2

Hey Christina,

I appreciate you getting back to me.

The naming convention is a bit confusing. You are correct in that the intended flow is, "send email 1, if they respond by updating their NPS score then remove them from receiving email 2."

Thanks again for your help!!

ChristinaZuniga

Anytime!