SOLVED

[Coffee Break] Inheriting a Marketo Instance as a Marketo Admin

Go to solution
Jon_Chen
Marketo Employee

[Coffee Break] Inheriting a Marketo Instance as a Marketo Admin

This Coffee Break is now over. Thanks to all who attended! Please check out all the questions and responses our amazing Champions posted in the comment section below. Be sure to stay tuned for upcoming Coffee Breaks on more Marketo Engage topics.

About this event

Inheriting a Marketo instance as a new or experienced administrator can be challenging. There's a lot to manage, from understanding Marketo program structures and naming conventions to auditing data cleanliness. Join our coffee break on Inheriting a Marketo Instance to get answers from the latest cohort of Marketo Champions - where they'll share solutions based on their collective experiences as best-in-class marketers. Be sure to register now for event reminders and a calendar invitation!

This text-only event takes place on the Marketing Nation Community. Post your burning questions, hot tips, key takeaways, and let’s chat about them! Our experts will be interacting live for that hour.

For some guidance, here are some example questions and topics you can ask these experts about. Remember, if you're curious about ANY of these, don't hesitate to ask them during or leading up to the Coffee Break session:

• Which key stakeholders should be involved in an audit?
  • What are some "best practice" auditing goals?
  • How is person source and acquisition program being updated?
  • When should you archive?
  • Have any triggered campaigns been turned off accidentally?
  • What is currently being stamped for lead lifecycle and what should be? (and why should you care)
  • What should I be looking for during my audit?
  • How do I keep track of what I find during my audit?
  • What do I do after I complete my audit?
  • How many admins do you have in the instance? Should they all need to be admin?
  • Do you have a robust Privacy Policy operational program in place for UK, Canada, Brazil Australia, USA, India to name a few?
  • Does your Segmentation cover all the company needs – regions, sub regions, languages, products/services, endusers/partners?

Additionally, be sure to check out some of these resources on Auditing an Inherited Instance:

IMPORTANT NOTES

Please note this was a TEXT-ONLY event, meaning that there will be no webinar, video call, or recording. All questions and answers occurred on this thread! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jon_Chen
Marketo Employee

Re: [STARTING NOW] 01/18/24 - Inheriting a Marketo Instance as a Marketo Admin

For an additional resource on auditing an Instance, check out this Admin Checklist on the Experience League website!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Zoe_Forman
Level 8 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

New Year, New Role, New Instance? this is the Coffee Break for you

Will you be working in a new Marketo instance in 2024?

Then this Coffee Break  18th January  - Inheriting a Marketo Instance as a Marketo Admin, can help you align you thoughts, plans, actions and act as a checklist, reminder or a chance to ask questions to our experts.

Coffee breaks are text only, questions will answered live during the hour, but you can ask questions in advance and come back online later in the Community to see your reply if you are not available during the session.

SIMPLE REQUIREMENTS TO PARTICIPATE

• Must be signed into the Marketing Nation Community during the 1-hour period
  • Must post an Adobe Marketo Engage question or comment on Inheriting an Marketo Instance
  • Must tag any or all Inherited Instance experts in your question (@Maria_Cruz1@Zoe_Forman@robynhatfield@alysha_khan23)
  • You can ALSO post your question or comment to the Q&A session in advance if you are unable to attend the live event
  • Please note this is a TEXT-ONLY event, meaning that there will be no webinar, video call, or recording. All questions and answers will occur on this thread!

Zoe_Forman

New Instance Coffee Break this week Thursday 18th January

Will you be working in a new Marketo instance in 2024?

Then this Coffee Break  18th January  - Inheriting a Marketo Instance as a Marketo Admin, can help you align you thoughts, plans, actions and act as a checklist, reminder or a chance to ask questions to our experts.

If you cant make it send your question in advance and check back after the coffee break to read your answers.

lillyfalcon
Level 3

Re: [Coffee Break] 01/18/24 - Inheriting a Marketo Instance as a Marketo Admin

Hi @alysha_khan23@Zoe_Forman@robynhatfield, @mariacruz_1

My first questions are about archiving best practices. I have inherited an instance with 1000+ archived assets over the past 10 years suitable for deletion (stored across Marketing Activities, Design Studio and Database). It seems like a huge task to tackle manually (we have a small team) so we are exploring bulk deletion via API

1. but there’s mixed opinions in the forum about whether this can be done 

2. even if we could, do we still have to unapprove each asset manually 

3. if we couldn't use API (or too risky), is our next best option unapproving in bulk 30x assets at a time using Design Studio?

4. for images, can we see if the file is in use before deleting?

My second question is about managing exhausted Engagement Program members. Are there any reports available in Marketo that could show us exhausted data for all live programs. We have access to Revenue Explorer. 

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 3.37.56 pm.png

And the last question is about duplicate lead management. We seem to have a quite a few duplicate leads with field name Updated at but the date / time seems to be the same. These leads share the same custom object. Have you seen a similar scenario before? 

Thank you!

Lilly

Lilly Falcon
Zoe_Forman

Hi @lillyfalcon, welcome to the Coffee Break and thanks for your questions,  regarding your question on archiving best practices. Generally, we agree that deletion manually is best rather than API.

The reason behind this is that you can review the assets  and triage them:

• Could use again - evergreen content, so keep
  • Old or discontinued products or services, then delete manually
  • Create an archive folder  - save fo rthe next round of archiving or deleting

We will add some more detail in additional posts

alysha_khan23
Level 1 - Champion

Hey @lillyfalcon! For images, there is a Used By tab under each image where you can see where the image is used within Marketo. Two caveats:

• If that image url is used somewhere else outside of Marketo (website for example), the Used By will not show this.   
  • If the asset is unapproved, it may not show up under the Used By tab
Maria_Cruz1
Level 1 - Champion

@lillyfalcon for your question regarding exhausted contacts, I recommend leveraging a Smart List. You can include a variety of Engagement Programs within the Smart List and add extra criteria if you want to dig more into the data. Here is a great article on how you can do it: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/marketo/using/product-docs/email-marketing/drip-nurturing/us...

Zoe_Forman

@lillyfalcon, another tip would be to break this down and look at 3 or 5 years at a time rather than tacking ten years of assets at once. Or focus on a specific segmentation - region, product, program type (nurtures, blast emails, newsletters).

Don't try to eat the elephant all at once!

Zoe_Forman

@lillyfalconregarding your question about duplicate lead management.

Do you have some specific details about the field name Updated date/time seems to be the same.

Which custom object?

Zoe_Forman

Re: [STARTING NOW] 01/18/24 - Inheriting a Marketo Instance as a Marketo Admin

If you have just inherited an instance, one of the first things to consider is who else is there.

• What are people's roles? Do they have all the access they need or more than they need? Does someone in Analytics need access to the Design Studio? limit Run once campaigns, and limit who can change roles and permissions.

• How many Admins do you have? Not everyone should be an Admin - set some guard rails or levels of experience such as being certified with Adobe Marketo Marketo Certified Expert and X number of years experience in Marketo and Admin knowledge.