Re: Cloning a program

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cloning a program

Hi ... Would like to clone our monthly newsletter program and replace the 'email' entirely .... if I clone and try to unapprove the email copy that was used last month... it doesn't allow me to. Everything else in the program will be the same expect for the email copy.

What's the best way to proceed without having to build the program from stratch?

Thank you!!
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to the campaigns that are referencing this email and remove the reference.  Then try to unapprove.  

So you might consider this order for the future:  create the new email first, update the campaign to reference the new email, unapprove the old email and then delete.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yikes, this seems like an awful lot of work to clone a program.
I tried to remove the email from the previous program but still can't unapprove. 

Is there an easier way to do this next time around? What's the best practice for cloning a program without having to remove the email blast from all campaigns?

Many thanks
carla 
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could create a program that you use as a template that does not include an email, since that is the different piece for each program.  This way you won't have to remove the old email.

I'd still like to understand why you cannot unapprove this email.  Is it saying that it is being referenced somewhere that it is not?  

The general idea with cloning is that you re-use all the assets and use tokens to change out the content. While i understand this may not always be the case, I think creating a program template that you clone from each time will work for you.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Carla,

We use a program for our newsletter and I always clone the previous one.  I've taken to using very generic names for the program assets (e.g. "Newsletter" for the email) so that I can easily swap out things.

What you might try is to simply replace the content of the email, rather than unapproving and starting a new email from scratch.  This is what I do and it works like a charm.

- Jocelyn