SOLVED

Re: Clicks on Link Trigger Not Working

Go to solution
John1
Level 1

Clicks on Link Trigger Not Working

Hello

I am testing out a flow and I want to check something. Is there a workaround for having a clicks link in email trigger activate on an email that's sent out using the built in email program rather than a smart campaign? Currently I am testing it and the trigger only works when the email is sent out through a flow step rather than the program. 

The criteria for this is just Clicks on Link in <email> with the constraint Link is <link> and with no other criterias 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I have created a few test email program sends and I can see that the email has been clicked and opened in the activity log for the lead record. If I were to create a batch campaign and use Clicked Link on Email with the same criteria as the trigger, my test record does show up in the schedule tab

This seems you’re testing something completely different. Your record showing up on the Schedule tab?

Need you to do the following (exactly as described):

1. Create and approve a new email asset, Email A

2. Clone that asset to another asset, Email B

3. Send Email A to a test record using a scheduled Email type program

4. Send Email B to a test record using a Smart Campaign

5. Click the same link in both emails

6. Show the Activity Log for the appropriate timeframe.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman

There’s should be no distinction between those 2 scenarios. Email type programs are certainly expected to track links!

Are you 100.00% certain you’re checking the same email asset?

John1
Level 1

Hey! Yes, I have tested it by sending myself a sample, the email through a smart campaign, and an email through a email program and only the email that was sent through the smart campaign triggered the campaign. I also thought that it would work regardless of whether the email is going out through a campaign or email program but am having doubts because I found this post which seems to be accurate: https://nation.marketo.com/t5/product-discussions/quot-clicks-link-in-email-quot-trigger-not-working...

For the flow step for the trigger, all I want to do is add them into a list

SanfordWhiteman

I also thought that it would work regardless of whether the email is going out through a campaign or email program but am having doubts because I found this post which seems to be accurate: https://nation.marketo.com/t5/product-discussions/quot-clicks-link-in-email-quot-trigger-not-working...

That post doesn’t say anything about Email type programs not tracking clicks, so don’t know what you mean by “accurate”.

Please create a new email asset, send it using an Email program, and show the Activity Log for a recipient.

John1
Level 1

Sorry about the confusion! By accurate I meant that the solution response was correct in that the Clicks on Link trigger did work when I sent the email through a smart campaign instead of an email program. The trigger campaign was able to add my test record into a list. 

I have created a few test email program sends and I can see that the email has been clicked and opened in the activity log for the lead record so that is working fine. I know that I could probably just use a recurring batch campaign to accomplish the same thing, but just wondering if there's a better way to do it.

SanfordWhiteman

I have created a few test email program sends and I can see that the email has been clicked and opened in the activity log for the lead record. If I were to create a batch campaign and use Clicked Link on Email with the same criteria as the trigger, my test record does show up in the schedule tab

This seems you’re testing something completely different. Your record showing up on the Schedule tab?

Need you to do the following (exactly as described):

1. Create and approve a new email asset, Email A

2. Clone that asset to another asset, Email B

3. Send Email A to a test record using a scheduled Email type program

4. Send Email B to a test record using a Smart Campaign

5. Click the same link in both emails

6. Show the Activity Log for the appropriate timeframe.

John1
Level 1

I think I know what I did wrong. Previously I had the trigger smart campaign under the campaign program, but I decided to nest it underneath the test send email program and it worked the way I needed it to (both test records were added to the list as a result of clicking on the link in the email). Thank you so much for your guidance!