Re: Chinese characters in email subject?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Chinese characters in email subject?

We are trying to send emails to leads in China. When the email is sent (usually through Marketo Sales Insight in Salesforce), the account manager is including Chinese characters in the email subject line. However, when it is delivered, the characters become quesion marks, which cause our emails to be marked as spam. 

Is it possible to include characters in email subject lines that will be delivered correctly?

Thank you!
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, I've seen folks do this just fine (assuming the destination machine can read the Chinese characters). Japanese, Chinese, Hebrew, etc.

Have you contacted support about this?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Erik,
Thanks for your reply. It appears that only the subject is affected when delivered, as the email body is in Chinese and goes through fine. We have had customers reply that the email was in their spam or junk folder due to the question marks in the subject line. Do you know where I can find instructions on how to do this? I couldn't find anything searching in the community. 

I have not contacted support yet, I was just seeing if there was an answer out in the community first. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my past experiments this just works. If you're sending tests to yourself and seeing the same question marks in the subject line something strange is going on.

-Erik
Chandini_Kalsy
Level 2

We send out emails in Chinese and often use tokens to store subject lines. These tokens are then inserted into our various emails. Maybe using tokens can help resolve your issue.