SOLVED

Checking a lead's status every hour

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Checking a lead's status every hour

I'm trying to solve the following scenario:

1. We have an external app the keeps track of certain user activity and sends updates to Marketo when they perform a certain action. In this case, when they start and complete a training module.

2. I want to send a reminder email when a user has completed one module but hasn't started the next one within two hours.

What is the best way to set this up?

Do we create an attribute per status per module? Can we simply have one attribute per status and append new data to it and use the contains filter?

What I had in mind:

Smart List

- Filter: [Started Modules] contains [Flow ID]

- Filter: [Started Modules Last Updated Date/Time] in past before [2 hours]

Then run this hourly. (Although I just discovered you can't actually run a campaign hourly, *sigh*)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Re: Checking a lead's status every hour

Hi Jan,

Do you have a field you can flag when a user completes a module?

You could then have a trigger campaign that listens for that field becoming true. In the flow steps you could then add a wait step "wait 2 hours"and then have a send campaign that sends the email if the next training module is not set to true.

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 12.26.41.png

Thanks,

Gerard

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Hi Jan,

Do you have a field you can flag when a user completes a module?

You could then have a trigger campaign that listens for that field becoming true. In the flow steps you could then add a wait step "wait 2 hours"and then have a send campaign that sends the email if the next training module is not set to true.

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 12.26.41.png

Thanks,

Gerard

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gerard,

Thanks for the reply. I've thought about adding a 2-hour wait step, but as far as I understand, Marketo evaluates the condition, determines who meets the criteria, then executes the flow. Even if you then add the 2-hour wait step, it will send the email regardless. Or can you add another condition that will be checked after the 2-hour wait step?

Pavel_Plachky
Level 5

Hello Jan,

Marketo will check the condition in a flow step after all preceeding steps and wait-steps have concluded.

I hope it helps

Pavel

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent. Then this should work.

Thanks for the replies.

Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Hi Jan,

If the field needs to be reused for more than one module, as an extra step, once you send the email you could reset the flag field back to null.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting suggestion, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.