SOLVED

Re: Changing the name of a channel

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Changing the name of a channel

Hi There! Could someone please remind me - when there are already programs containing members tagged with a particular channel, is it possible to change the name of the channel (not the program statuses or status names - just the channel name)? If so, are there any consequences I should be aware of?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Denise,

You can easily rename the channel. It will have no consequence re. the programs themselves. All the program using the renamed channel will have their channel name updated.

The consequence are with any smart list using the channel or one if the statuses name as part of a constraint. This has to be tested, as your smart lists may stop working.

-Greg

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You can do this, but you may not really want to do this.

Why do you want to?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Because an agency used their name as part of several channel names. For example, let's say the agency was called "ABC"; there is channel called: "ABC-Web Content" rather than simply "Web Content."  I want to take the agency name out of the channel names. (This is a pretty new instance so changing the name would not have an impact on historic reports.)

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Pretty sure this is ok

Create a Program Channel - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

but you could instead Hide the Channel if it is in Use and then create a new one. Probably safer.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Denise,

You can easily rename the channel. It will have no consequence re. the programs themselves. All the program using the renamed channel will have their channel name updated.

The consequence are with any smart list using the channel or one if the statuses name as part of a constraint. This has to be tested, as your smart lists may stop working.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Greg, and Josh!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Grégoire Michel​ - do you know what the implications are if I want to change the naming of statuses that already exist under a channel tag? We've reviewed statuses that currently used and they're a little ambiguous so want to update them, but not sure if this will cause errors elsewhere? Can we simply replace one with another?

Thanks

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Carly,

Better open a new question in your situation. I am on PTO, and w new question would probably have got an answer from someone else

As the statuses are used in "change program status" from various places, this can be dangerous. I would be cautious and test that if you simply override the name, it propagates normally everywhere.

-Greg