SOLVED

Change "From" name and email for non-admin users

Go to solution
BenCirillo
Level 2

Change "From" name and email for non-admin users

Question that may end up being a feature request: 

I want to be able to change the default From name and email address to the company name so we don't accidentally send out emails under our own names. As an admin, I was able to do this for myself - but that only affects emails that I set up. 

Is there a way for a non-admin Marketing User or Standard User to set the default From name and address to something else, or a way for an admin to do it for them?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Change "From" name and email for non-admin users

Hi Ben

Nope, that isn't functionality you can control on a person-by-person basis.

However, there is a way to do something similar: you could use a token for these values. If your top-level folder set defaults for these tokens, then you could overwrite them as necessary. 

If each user worked in a particular folder, then they could override these tokens automatically since their programs would inherit the default values from their folder. However, if you all work in all folders then each person would need to overwrite those values each time they cloned a program. But at least in these cases the default (if they forgot) would be the company name and email that are defaulted by the top-level folder.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Phillip_Wild

Hi Ben

Nope, that isn't functionality you can control on a person-by-person basis.

However, there is a way to do something similar: you could use a token for these values. If your top-level folder set defaults for these tokens, then you could overwrite them as necessary. 

If each user worked in a particular folder, then they could override these tokens automatically since their programs would inherit the default values from their folder. However, if you all work in all folders then each person would need to overwrite those values each time they cloned a program. But at least in these cases the default (if they forgot) would be the company name and email that are defaulted by the top-level folder.

BenCirillo
Level 2

To clarify, are you saying to add the token (something like {{my.From Name}}) to the email templates? Is it possible to code from name/email into the templates? I know you can tokenize it when cloning an email, but not sure about setting it at the template level for when someone creates a new email. 

If so, that would be a very workable solution; I already have another my.token coded into the body of the templates that works the same way. So it's just one more token to set up in each folder. 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can't force it at the template level. You can use Velocity (included in the template) to check the From: info and throw a Soft Bounce if it doesn't comply. But that's pretty extreme.

EllenSchwier
Level 4

Hi Ben,

When you create a new email asset, it will use the from name and email address of the user who created it. However, one possible solution is to create example programs that your users can clone for future use. These example programs could include emails set up with all your preferences (or including the tokens mentioned by Philip). As an admin, you maintain the examples and your marketing users have less work every time they make a new asset/program.

Phillip_Wild

Thanks, great clarification @EllenSchwier ! Yes, I meant in example programs with example emails in them, not in email templates in the Design Studio.

BenCirillo
Level 2

OK, so the only way to set defaults for users, or have them set it for themselves, is to make them an admin. That seems like an odd choice on the product development side. I currently have one user who's default name is wrong (it was entered wrong when we created the user, then the name was changed later, but it didn't change the default.) In the long run, this isn't a big deal - she'll never be sending out an email under her own name - but it seems like there should be some way for someone - her or me - to change the default setting. 

I probably will be setting up example emails at some point, so I'll try the token thing as a workaround.