Change order of Engagement Stream Messages

Trevor_Parsell
Level 6

Change order of Engagement Stream Messages

Hello,

We have an engagement program set up with two streams. If someone clicks a certain message in stream one, we would like them to start with a corresponding email in stream two (Instead of starting with the first email at the top of stream two).

How can we set this up so that when someone clicks email #1 in Stream 1, they start Stream 2 with email #2 and then receive the remaining stream 2 messages in any order?

EX

Stream 1

Email 1 - If clicks, move to stream 2 and start with email #2, then receive the remaining stream 2 messages in any order

Email 4 - If clicks, move to stream 2 and start with email #2, then receive the remaining stream 2 messages in any order

Email 5 - If clicks, move to stream 2 and start with email #3, then receive the remaining stream 2 messages in any order

Email 6 - If clicks, move to stream 2 and start with email #3, then receive the remaining stream 2 messages in any order

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Change order of Engagement Stream Messages

Can you just put the three different orders in their own streams and move from steam 1 to stream 2-4 depending on their action?

Trevor_Parsell
Level 6

Hey JD,

Yes, that is how we originally set it up, and could work. I was wondering if there is a better way to do it using only two streams, since we may eventually be adding a lot more to each stream.

Thanks!

JD_Nelson

I don't believe there is -- the best way to get them to 'skip' would be to utilize a program status, but that would prevent them from receiving those other emails at all. If the only thing changing is the order of the first three emails I would create a stream for those 3, then have them transition into a final stream that has the other content you plan on adding.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You can use a batch to listen for If Clicked Link in Email 1, then do X. Do not try to do this with the Transition button.

If you use the same Assets in both Streams, then the Lead will receive only the next one. So it should work like you describe.

I generally don't like this method because a click on Email 1 doesn't necessarily tell us much...unless it's a very specific click.

Trevor_Parsell
Level 6

Hey Josh,

Thanks for your help. I want to make sure I understand this. So I can use a smart list within the nested program so that the people who do not fit the smart-list criteria will automatically skip and go to the first program where they match the smart list criteria?

pastedImage_3.png

How would I make sure they eventually receive the other emails in stream #2?

The idea is that if someone clicks on something specific in stream one, we first give them more of that (and at a deeper level) in stream #2.

Thanks!

Mike_Sherwood1
Level 2

People who are disqualified by the smart list of a nested program will not be sent an email with that cast - they get nothing that cast.  To avoid these gaps, you should add them as a member to the appropriate nested programs when they do the action from stream 1 that disqualifies them.  Taking this example of yours:

Email 5 - If clicks, move to stream 2 and start with email #3, then receive the remaining stream 2 messages in any order

... you will have a triggered smart campaign that listens for the click in email #5, which then adds them as a member to nested programs #1 and #2 in stream 2.  In general, you will add them as a member for all future emails they should be disqualified from getting.   If you do it this way, then you might not need your restrictive smart lists in the nested programs.  Once a person is already a member of the nested program, they won't get the piece sent by that program.

Those nested programs should have a status preceding the "sent" status, like "member".  You give them that status when adding to the program, but you give them the status of "sent" when you actually send something to them. 

If you don't do this, it's not horrible.   You can keep your smart list filtering technique  - they will just not get an email for the cast in which they are disqualified via the smart list criteria.  The next cast will have them go to the next email/program in the list.

Mike

Phillip_Wild

I think Mike's suggestion is the cleanest way to accomplish this. We have something a little similar whereby before each cast we change program statuses for everyone who shouldn't receive particular emails. After the cast, we change it back for those who didn't receive it. We use this to ensure that people only receive emails that they are qualified for, but we retain the ability for someone to qualify at any time - even if they've missed it in the past.