Re: Change Engagement Program Cadence (Paused and normal) - DID NOT WORK

kristalklug
Level 2

Change Engagement Program Cadence (Paused and normal) - DID NOT WORK

Hi. 
I have a smart trigger campaign with the logic of... if email 1 is delivered, or email 2 is delivered, or email 3 is delivered and member of engagement program. Then, change engagement program cadence to "paused" wait 2 days, then change back the engagement program cadence to "normal". 
The cast is run daily, but I'm using the "paused" and "normal" change engagement program cadence to create 2 day gaps between each email. However, email 3 was received the following day after receiving email 2. 
Can someone explain to me as to why this happened??

I was told by a Marketo rep to run the cast daily and use the engagement program cadence to create 2 day gaps between emails.  Credit Builder Smart list 06.10.2021.pngCredit Builder Flow 06.10.2021.png

Thanks for any advice/help.

3 REPLIES 3
Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Hi @kristalklug ,

The logic looks correct. When you look into the Activity Log of someone who received both the emails a day apart, can you see anything amiss? That might yield a clue. 

If it fits your use case, it might be simpler to simply run a "Weekly" cadence, with Monday, Wednesday and Friday selected. That would give the two day cap in most cases, but of course it's not going to be perfect. Might simplify it a little though. 

kristalklug
Level 2

I spoke to a Marketo Support Rep and together we figured out the issue. I had to change the "every record should flow" to run daily. As I think of it, it does make sense. If a lead triggers the first trigger aka "delivered email 1", then pause for 2 days. That is one instance of that person going through the flow and exiting out. To bring that same person into the smart campaign to initiate the second trigger aka "delivered email 2", then pause for 2 days, I would need the lead to flow again through the smart campaign. Thus, setting up the "every record should flow"  daily.

I think this will resolve the email 2 and email 3 being sent back to back. Also, the reason the emails were sent back to back is because my cast is set daily, so without the smart campaign trigger running daily the nurture's cast took over.

I hope this helps anyone who is setting up trigger campaigns that are using if delivered email 1 or delivered email 2 or delivered email 3, then pause cadence for certain number of days then "un-pause"/normal. That the flow needs to run at least "daily" for the lead to re-enter the campaign to trigger the other triggers or your nurture's cast will take over the flow of the email sends.

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

I was just about to ask when the person received email 1. By combining these triggers you can indeed get the same person into the flow multiple times, causing some very strange behaviour.  Hopefully this fixes it for you. You may also want to try splitting your smart campaign for each email, to ensure they don't interfere with eachother if it's still buggy.