Re: Change/Edit API user name for launchpoint integration

BMaharjan
Level 1

Change/Edit API user name for launchpoint integration

Hi friends,

I am new to Marketo and have a few questions related to API user names used for launchpoint integrations.

Situation: We have API usernames which is linked to former employee's email address so need to change them.

Questions:

• Can we just edit/change API user name (which is an email)? Is it going to impact the connection?
  • If it is not as easy as just editing the user name/email, what is the step by step process to change API user name?
  • Do we need to be wary of day and time to make this update?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

You cannot edit the API user that is being currently used by a launchpoint service. You'd need to remove  respective launchpoint service (or link it with the another API user temporarily) first in-order to update the API user. It's worth mentioning that deleting an existing launchpoint service would disrupt all the integrations referencing the respective service's credentials (something that you'd not want).

FYR - API users are never sent an email from Marketo and hence it does not need to be an active email address.

BMaharjan
Level 1

Hi @Darshil_Shah1 , Thank you for your response. 

It seems email address that former employee used were working emails so we are needing to change API user names.

In case if any integration error occurs where are those emails sent to? I am trying to understand if any Marketo information could be forwarded to the user name (email address) that are being used as API user name.

Darshil_Shah1

Well, you can setup a new temp API user with same permissions (or use an existing one if you already have it created), link the launchpoint service to it, edit the freed up API user's email address, and then link your launchpoint service back to the edited API user. In this process the service's API creds won't change and hence you won't see any disruption in the API calls/integrations that are using this service for authenticating.

BMaharjan
Level 1

Thanks @Darshil_Shah1 . If I follow what you mentioned, when relinking does our partner service need to change or update anything on their end? Does changing API user name also change unique code, id that were used to set up the integration? Also does that change authorized user that we see in API details?

You have been really helpful understanding API connections and I really appreciate you taking time to reply to the post.

Thank you,

Bandana

Darshil_Shah1

As I said earlier, re-linking API user for a launchpoint service would not change the client id and secret of the service and hence the integrations using them would still be able to function seamlessly.

Also does that change authorized user that we see in API details?

Yes, the authorized API user shows the API user that is associated with the service, upon switching the API user, the authorized user of the service would change (however, the API creds, i.e., client id and secret would not change).

BMaharjan
Level 1

@Darshil_Shah1 - I will try this Friday and see how it goes. Thank you. I appreciate taking your time to reply to my post and helping with this issue.

Thank you,

Bandana

Darshil_Shah1

Absolutely - happy to help! Please let us know if you have any questions/concerns. 🙂