SOLVED

Re: Champion/challenger test in Engagement Program

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Champion/challenger test in Engagement Program

Hi,

I have a question concerning the use of A/B tests or the Champion/Challenger test in Engagement Programs.

We want to implement the following: 3 streams with each containing multiple programs.

Within these programs we want to A/B test the subject line of the emails.

In this case can we use the champion/challenger test or do we have to create two separate unique emails and manually do A/B testing?

Or is there another, maybe better solution?

A big thanks in advance,

Xaveer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hi Xaveer, from your description it sounds like you're using Programs within your Engagement Program. If I'm mistaken, and you have emails in your stream, then what Jamie has described will work, you just set up a champion/challenger test on the email.

If you are using programs within your engagement program, then you cannot use champion/challenger unless you set it up as a secondary campaign that is triggered by your batch campaign activated at the cast. Just to be sure that this makes sense:

2 smart campaigns within your program nested in your EP

Smart Campaign #1 (this is the one referenced by the cast)

• Smart list: your criteria
  • Flow: Request campaign #2

Smart Campaign #2

• Smart list: trigger - Campaign is requested
  • Flow: Send Champion/Challenger email

Another option if you want to keep just a single send campaign in your program would be to use a random sample with your batch campaign, and have each of the emails created separately as you described in your question.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to create an A/B test just right click the email and add test.  It will work the same in an engagement program as it does outside the program.

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hi Xaveer, from your description it sounds like you're using Programs within your Engagement Program. If I'm mistaken, and you have emails in your stream, then what Jamie has described will work, you just set up a champion/challenger test on the email.

If you are using programs within your engagement program, then you cannot use champion/challenger unless you set it up as a secondary campaign that is triggered by your batch campaign activated at the cast. Just to be sure that this makes sense:

2 smart campaigns within your program nested in your EP

Smart Campaign #1 (this is the one referenced by the cast)

• Smart list: your criteria
  • Flow: Request campaign #2

Smart Campaign #2

• Smart list: trigger - Campaign is requested
  • Flow: Send Champion/Challenger email

Another option if you want to keep just a single send campaign in your program would be to use a random sample with your batch campaign, and have each of the emails created separately as you described in your question.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dory,

Thanks for the feedback.

We are indeed using Programs within our Engagement Program.

So a simple A/B test as Jamie mentioned won't work.

Concerning the other two options:

- Secondary Campaign

Although I do like your idea of using a secondary campaign, I'm afraid this will complicate our Engagement programs as we will have many (as in quiet a lot) campaigns within each stream.

- Seperate emails

On the other hand creating each email separately will be quiet some work as well.

I'll discuss within our team and see which option they prefer.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Xaveer

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Here are some ideas to vote up:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

Upvoted them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I reading this Product doc wrong -- it says there that if you have a Program, you can use the Champion / Challenger function to A/B Test: Add an Email Champion/Challenger - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Never mind, I re-read the full thread. Emails in Engine work, and Programs work but not programs in Engine.