SOLVED

Re: Can you build a dynamic drop down field on a marketo form with a custom hidden field?

Go to solution
justinedupreez
Level 2

Can you build a dynamic drop down field on a marketo form with a custom hidden field?

My team is planning to experiment with our contact us form on our website. We are looking to dynamically update the drop-down options based on a person's account type. For example, if it's a person on our free plan we want the drop-down to talk about upgrades vs. support/talking to sales. 

I originally thought I could add our custom personal account type field has a hidden value on the form, but that doesn't seem to be working and what I'm seeing online is the order of events would be a field before the drop down that gets completed beforehand. Is there any other way I could accomplish this? 

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Can you build a dynamic drop down field on a marketo form with a custom hidden field?

Think you mean “custom field”, not “custom activity”; I edited the title of your post accordingly.

There’s no reason you can’t use a hidden field to create a Visibility Rule. (I assume that’s what you already tried, though you weren’t clear.)

But for this to work, the field needs to be pre-filled, which means they need to either:

• have already visited your site and filled out a Marketo form[1]
  • have clicked a tracked link in a Marketo email to get to your page

[1] which also requires my custom pre-fill JS

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman

Think you mean “custom field”, not “custom activity”; I edited the title of your post accordingly.

There’s no reason you can’t use a hidden field to create a Visibility Rule. (I assume that’s what you already tried, though you weren’t clear.)

But for this to work, the field needs to be pre-filled, which means they need to either:

• have already visited your site and filled out a Marketo form[1]
  • have clicked a tracked link in a Marketo email to get to your page

[1] which also requires my custom pre-fill JS

justinedupreez
Level 2

We decided to execute this in vwo, but I'm still interested in learning how to accomplish this in Marketo.

When you change it to a hidden field on the form you lose the Visibility Rule functionality, so how exactly would you accomplish that? Also can you link the custom pre-fill JS...

SanfordWhiteman

When you change it to a hidden field on the form you lose the Visibility Rule functionality, so how exactly would you accomplish that?

A Hidden field can still trigger Visibility Rules for other fields. It can’t be the target of Visibility Rules, of course, since it’s always hidden.

Also can you link the custom pre-fill JS...

The pre-fill JS is here.