SOLVED

Can we rely on Referrer URL on Global form submissions to filter the unique origins?

Go to solution
JayW
Level 2

Can we rely on Referrer URL on Global form submissions to filter the unique origins?

Hi all,
This may be a topic discussed in length and I'm only here for a final validation if anything has changed from Marketo end in the recent months.

We would like to use Global gated content forms and in my smart campaigns I would like to use referrer url as the filter to only take the submissions coming from a particular page. Can I trust the referrer URL to always be the correct place the submission come from?

JayW_0-1662067945491.png

If that's reliable, then why do I see various scripted methods using the Forms 2.0 API to inject hidden fields that act as identifiers to decide where did the submission came from? (https://nation.marketo.com/t5/marketo-whisperer-blogs/embedding-global-forms-without-losing-tracking...)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Can we rely on Referrer URL on Global form submissions to filter the unique origins?

It’s 100% reliable for a specific piece of information: the entire URL of the page on which the forms library was loaded.

But that’s not necessarily sufficient for attribution and routing. The URL may include a numeric ?id=1234 but you want to include a friendlier downloadable asset name. Or on a single-page app, the URL might not change with the inner content. Different forms may offer different content on the same page. Etc.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Can we rely on Referrer URL on Global form submissions to filter the unique origins?

It’s 100% reliable for a specific piece of information: the entire URL of the page on which the forms library was loaded.

But that’s not necessarily sufficient for attribution and routing. The URL may include a numeric ?id=1234 but you want to include a friendlier downloadable asset name. Or on a single-page app, the URL might not change with the inner content. Different forms may offer different content on the same page. Etc.