Can Marketo user exist as a Salesforce Community Portal User?

Liliana_Cheng1
Level 4

Can Marketo user exist as a Salesforce Community Portal User?

Does anyone know if the Marketo user (in Salesforce) can exist as a Salesforce Community Portal User, but still be able to function with Salesforce Admins rights if the permissions are added in?

We are looking at our options for restructuring the Salesforce permissions, one of which places Marketo as an external user with all of the added admin permissions. Currently, Marketo is an internal user with the all of the permissions to read/write. The issue with this structure is that leads which are deleted from Marketo (kept in Salesforce) have been syncing back to Marketo because Marketo is not restricted. Changing record type permissions is not really an option for us because there are hundreds of implications in Salesforce that are based on record types.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
John_Clark1
Level 10

Re: Can Marketo user exist as a Salesforce Community Portal User?

Hi Liliana,

As long as the sync user is able to log in through www.salesforce.com, then the credentials for that user should work for Marketo.

The other option here would be to set up a custom sync filter, which is basically a checkbox field in SFDC and Marketo that you can use to filter records from syncing to Marketo.  If this is something you're interested in you'll want to open a case with support.

John

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

If you want to block the write backs to Marketo (and see a similar thread earlier today), just set a field "Do Not Sync=T". No permissions needed.

I would urge to avoid making the Marketo User anything other than a normal SFDC user with the proper Profile and Permissions. I bet it will only cause problems if you make it a Community User.

Liliana_Cheng1
Level 4

Hey Josh Hill​, can you share the link to the similar thread please? I just spent 30 mins searching for it and wasn't sure which one you're referring to.

Also, how would I use the field "Do Not Sync = True"? I don't follow how this field would help block a record from being synced from Salesforce to Marketo. Forgive the ignorance - I have little experience with the integration of Marketo/Salesforce.

Thanks for the education.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Liliana Cheng

Holding back leads from SFDC, but then creating duplicates

Re: Best practices for preventing leads from going into SFDC queue webinar leads

Re: Best practice for syncing to SFDC  

Common Marketo and Salesforce Sync Pitfalls

Deciding When to Sync Leads to Dynamics CRM

How to restrict which leads sync to Salesforce

How do I block certain leads/contacts in Salesforce from synching into Marketo?

The process is like so:

• Marketo User in SFDC is given access to certain kinds of records.
  • If you add a Do Not Sync field to every record, you can manipulate the Marketo User Profile to not "see" leads where Do Not Sync=T
  • Since Marketo can no longer see these leads, they will not sync (or will stop syncing)
  • Marketo itself can still push over leads, but you must make sure that, on the Marketo side, Do Not Sync=F or SFDC will throw an error.

If you prefer, you can use the positive sense = Sync OK=T/F

When a lead is Deleted in Marketo, Delete in CRM=F, the lead can return to Marketo whenever SFDC updates the lead record. Therefore, as part of your system, add a campaign:

• On Delete in Marketo
    • Change Data Value: Sync OK=F
    • Sync to SFDC
    • Delete Lead in Marketo, SFDC=F

or something like that so you break the Sync value first, then Delete the record so the Marketo User can no longer see it.

The danger here is that you could end up with lots of dupes across systems and will have to clean those up somehow; or that unsynced Leads in SFDC should be in Marketo, but aren't. So you need to come up with some rules about when an SFDC Only record can be restored to Marketo.

Liliana_Cheng1
Level 4

Thanks again Josh Hill​!