SOLVED

Re: Can I specify Token values at an email level

Go to solution
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Can I specify Token values at an email level

Hi there.

I have the following situation, and feel I'm missing something staggeringly obvious.

I have a snippet used across multiple emails that specifies a header image and URL based on the recipients declared geography.

I want to do UTM tracking on clicks in this image. 

It struck me the smart thing to do was create a token {{my.utm_campaign}} and set the value for each email.

This is where I seem to be missing something:  I can set up a token for UTM Campaign at a program level, but that means I have to have each email in a separate program. 

Surely I can set the token value at an email level, and am just missing something incredibly obvious here?

Cheers

Jo

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You're not really missing anything. There aren't individual email-level tokens. Closest way to approximate this is to have a single Velocity token with values for each email ID:

#set( $utmPerEmail = {
"1012" : "fashion-layout",
"1023" : "gartner-new",
"1048" : "pusha-t-endorsement"
} )‍‍‍‍

Then have it output only the value that matches the current ID (code for getting the ID found elsewhere in my blog).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

You're not really missing anything. There aren't individual email-level tokens. Closest way to approximate this is to have a single Velocity token with values for each email ID:

#set( $utmPerEmail = {
"1012" : "fashion-layout",
"1023" : "gartner-new",
"1048" : "pusha-t-endorsement"
} )‍‍‍‍

Then have it output only the value that matches the current ID (code for getting the ID found elsewhere in my blog).

Jo_Pitts1

Sanford Whiteman‌,

thanks for that excellent (as usual) answer.

The obvious follow-on question, SHOULD we be able to set email level tokens (clearly mostly useful if you are using them with snippets).

Cheers

Jo

SanfordWhiteman

I think {{email.tokens}} that draw from tags or other email-level metadata would be part of an MA platform, were I to build one.

Jo_Pitts1

Well said.

I guess the use case of a token with different values being used in snippets across multiple emails within a single program was never considered... Hey Marketo (TROLOLOL).... consider this