Business problem - send email to users not leads

Anonymous
Not applicable

Business problem - send email to users not leads

Hi there,

Got a business problem that I'd like your feedback on. 

We have two databases we worth with: 
1) Prospects and customers in SFDC/MKTO 
2) Users of our cloud based software in our user database

Generally, the people in our user database are not in SFDC/MKTO (e.g. - a university may get a license to our product and we'll have 15,000 new users instantly. They're not leads nor sales opportunities, just users of our product that we want to keep happy and communicate with). 

Problem: we want to send out communications to our users and track open rates, click throughs, etc. If I get a CSV of all our users and import that list into Marketo, it will create new leads which will then be subject to our scoring, lead routing, etc. and a current user could be sent to a sales rep as a new lead. That sales rep then calls that person and they respond, "Uh. We're a current client of yours, why are you calling me to schedule a demo?" Make sense?

I'd like to send out an email from Marketo to use the awesome email tracking capabilities while excluding this list import for all scoring, routing, RCA reports, RCM analysis, etc. Just a simple email blast. 

Would really like to use MKTO for tracking but don't want the users to skew our lead numbers. We're looking at other email service providers to handle strictly "user communications" and use Marketo for prospect/customer communication.

Any ideas? 

Thanks so much!
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Business problem - send email to users not leads

Are you looking to take actions based on the user's behavior or just report on the summary outcome of every email?

I'd be inclined toward a dedicated ESP for this.  Sendgrid and customer.io are solid for tracking behaviors, and mailchimp and aweber will be enough for just summary metrics.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Steven. Just looking to report which links people click on - no action. 
Amy_Lepre
Level 7

You could also set up your scoring & interesting moments, lead routing, etc. to never score or take action on any of the leads in the static lists that comprise those users.